1.6

A couple hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. "Never leave that till tomorrow," he said, "which you can do today."

Evi was laying awake in her bed looking at the ceiling.

This is the man who discovered electricity. You'd think more of us would listen to what he had to say.

George walks up to Evi's room with his fist raised up to the door.

I don't know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I'd say it has a lot to do with fear. Fear of failure, fear of pain, fear of rejection.

"Wouldn't it be easier to just ask her out?" Izzie asks George as she observes the man.

"She's gonna be late." George says walking away from the door. "Both her and Meredith."

"Maybe not." Evi says emerging from her room fully dressed and ready to go.

"We should wait for her." George gestures to Meredith's room.

"Definitely not. I'm not her mother, and you are not her boyfriend." Izzie says.

Evi moves towards the bathroom to brush her teeth.

"Life is short, George. Do you really want to die before you ever ask her out?" Izzie whisper yells at George.

"I do not want to ask her out." George denies looking in the direction of the bathroom.

"Do you really want to die a liar?"

"I'm not...I'm not dying."

Sometimes, the fear is just of making a decision. Because, what if you're wrong? What if you're making a mistake you can't undo?

Evi comes out of the bathroom and grabs the mug from George's hands. "Thanks George!" She says as she moves down the stairs.

Izzie sends him a look.

•.•.•

"Cristina, you're late." Bailey scolds.

"So is Meredith." She says quickly.

Whatever it is we're afraid of, one thing holds true. That, by the time the pain of not doing a thing gets worse than the fear of doing it, it can feel like we're carrying around a giant tumor.

"When we walk in this door, you will maintain decorum. You will not laugh, vomit, or drop you jaw. Are we understood?" Bailey lectures.

"Why would we laugh?" Evi says confused.

"Oh, just you wait." Alex says.

"Good morning, Miss Connors." Bailey greets.

"Good Morning." She greets.

"What is it?" George asks.

"Tumor." Cristina explains.

And you thought I was speaking metaphorically.

"Good morning, Annie. How are you? This is Dr. Bailey and these are my fellow interns." Alex greets.

"Dr. Karev, we refer to patients as 'mister'"

"I told him to call me Annie. Miss Connors makes me feel old and fat, which I am, but why feel that way?"

"Good morning." Burke says as he enters.

"Annie, this is Dr. Burke Awesome surgeon."

"Dr. Karev." Bailey prompts.

"Annie Connors is a 43-year-old woman who presented last night with progressive shortness of breath for the past three months. Found to have a very large tumor of unknown origin pressed against her diaphragm. Stable vital signs. Scheduled for CT this morning, sir." Alex presents.