2.4

The key to surviving a surgical internship is denial. We deny that we're tired, we deny that we're scared, we deny how badly we want to succeed, and most importantly, we deny that we're in denial.

Evi and Fletcher sat at the bar in Joe's, chatting about random things.

We only see what we wanna see and believe what we want to believe. And it works. We lie to ourselves so much that after a while, the lies start to seem like the truth.

Evi didn't know what she was doing. She didn't know if she wanted to be with Fletcher again or if she wanted to leave him.

But she was setting it on the latter. She'd take his words into consideration, she'd see if he'd really changed or not.

We deny so much that we can't recognize the truth, right in front of our faces.

Evi laughs at a horrible joke he makes, and couldn't help but wonder if she was still in love with the man.

•.•.•

Bailey is making rounds with Alex, Evi, Izzie, Meredith and George.

"I want everyone focused today. With Cristina out, we're short an intern and I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those days. And Karev, see the chief by the end of the day." Bailey says to the interns as they stand in a hallway.

"What for?" Alex asks.

"Do I look psychic to you? He is the chief. He asked. You go."

"What did he do?" Evi asks George.

"Maybe he gave the chief syphilis." George says making Evi snicker as they enter a patients room.

"So we're in the middle of the Belizian jungle and this jaguarondi jumps out and bites one of the guides." The woman says to a large group.

"They all look at me. They're yelling, 'You're a doctor, help him!' This is one time a PhD does no good." The woman continues.

"I'm sorry, did I miss the bell for social hour?" Bailey asks and sverybody starts to leave except Bailey's group.

"Tales of missionary life." The woman says.

"You're a missionary?" Izzie asks.

"No, my parents. We traveled a lot. They still do."

"Oh wow. This stuff looks great." Izzie says while looking at some artifacts. She then sees Bailey looking annoyed.

"Um, this is Dr. Burke's patient, Kalpana Vera..." Izzie starts.

"'Kull-punnah.' Named by villagers in Nepal."

"Uh, she presents with a multiple syncopal episodes and ventricular arrhythmias."

"So you've been passing out?" Bailey asks.

"Yeah and having palpitations." Kalpana says

"Past medical history of rheumatic heart disease with mitral valve stenosis."

"They had to ship me from Zambia to the States for 3 months of treatment when I was 8. Rheumatic fever almost killed me."

"Dr. Stevens. What are the primary causes of ventricular arrhythmias?" Izzie moves to speak but is interrupted.

Cristina who has come to the doorway in her hospital gown with her IV stand, answers. "Valvular disease, mitral valve prolapse, stimulants, drugs, and metabolic abnormalities." She looks pleased with herself. "What?"

"Out!" Bailey demands.

"I'm fine." Cristina insists.

"Out! You better be in your room by the time we round on you."