2.7

Communication. It's the first thing we really learn in life. Funny thing is once we grow up, learn our words and really start talking; the harder it becomes to know what to say or how to ask for what we really need.

Evi walks behind Meredith and Cristina towards the elevator.

A group of guys point and look at Meredith. Evi marches up to them. "Stop talking right now." She snaps. And they look at her. "Walk away." She says through gritted teeth making them leave.

Cristina leaves the elevator pulling the two of them in.

•.•

An elderly woman named Kimberley Griswold is lying on a hospital bed. Her husband is rushing around doing little things for her. Evi, Cristina, George, Izzie, Bailey & Burke are there.

"Mrs. Ah Kimberley Griswold. History of heart disease and multiple surgeries. In for a beating heart quadruple CABG." Evi presents.

Alex walks in late. "You're late." Izzie says.

"Yes Karev, nice of you to join us." Burke says. He gives Alex a look and then returns to the chart. "Why keep the heart beating Dr. Yang?" Burke asks.

Cristina looks at Izzie and then back at Burke. "I don't know." She says.

"What?" Bailey asks.

"I have no idea." Cristina says sounding forced.

Bailey looks peeved and looks at Izzie. "Oh I don't know either. Just don't." Izzie says.

"Because of the-" Meredith starts but Izzie elbows her and gives her a look. "- ow..."

"Anyone else?" Burke asks.

"Stress reduction because of the previous surgeries-" Alex picks up.

Burke interrupts. "Jensen."

"I know-I know the answer." Alex protests.

"I'm asking Jensen."

"Scar tissue is too deep. Heart's too weak to start up again so you only immobilize the portion you're working on and you leave the rest of the heart on its own." Evi says. She gives a bewildered look to the other girls. Alex leaves the room.

"Welcome to the case." Burke congratulates Evi.

"Thank you." Evi says.

•.•

Evi and Burke were in Mrs. Griswold's room. Burke was doing a physical exam on her.

Mr. Griswold is running around the room doing stuff for his wife.

"This will be an extensive operation, even for an open heart veteran like yourself." Burke says.

"My room was bigger last time. It was brighter. More sun." She turns to her husband. "Alan this water is warm, I need more ice." Mr. Griswold hurries to grab more ice.

"I'm sending you in for a nuclear scan. Then we'll get you into the OR this afternoon. You do understand all of the risks?" Burke asks.

"I've been through it too many times to not understand the risks." She says. She turns to her husband. "Get the blinds. Open the blinds. This room is depressing." She demands. Mr. Griswold rushes to open the blinds.

"I'll check back a little later." Burke says leading Evi out of the room. Mr. Griswold opens the blinds, but his wife makes a face indicating it's too bright so he tries to adjust it.

Burke & Evi start heading out of the room.

"Take her for a thallium scan. Pick up her x-rays on the way." He tells Evi.