2.11

Izzie, George, Cristina, Evi and Meredith are all in a room either standing over or sitting in front their respective quints who are in incubators. The babies are very tiny.

"I have the best quint. Lucy, she just smiled at me." George says.

"She's nine hours old, George." Evi says.

"I'm saying there are 5 babies here and clearly mine is the advanced one." He says.

"Charlotte's smart. She's got wrinkles on her forehead, very serious." Meredith says.

"Okay, A. This is not a competition and B. my quint kicks your quints' asses. Emily is strong, she won't let go of my finger." Izzie says.

"Ah, hey! Julie has her organs on the outside of her body and she's still alive thank you." Cristina says.

"Kate's the best one. I don't know how yet, but she is." Evi says as Alex walks in.

"Izzie." He tries.

"Leave." She says not turning to look at him.

"Can we please just talk?" He asks.

"You're too busy screwing nurses to talk. Just get out."

"Can someone make sure that Kate's vitals remain stable?" He asks.

"I will, because she's my quint." Evi says.

Alex rolls his eyes and leaves.

"He's unbelievable! I am so glad I never slept with him which is his loss because I'm really good in bed. Mind blowing. Mind blowingly good in bed." Izzie says frustrated.

"Are you trying to seduce us?" Cristina asks.

"And then he sleeps with Olivia instead of me." Izzie says disdainfully. "Olivia."

"Hey, I slept with Olivia." George says.

"And you got syphillis." Evi says.

"Yeah." Izzie says. "You both have bad taste."

George sends Evi a look. "You know you can't say that you weren't warned. Alex has always been Alex."

"You dodged a bullet, Iz, you're better off without him." Meredith says.

"Why are you even surprised? Sleep with a snake, you get bit." Cristina says.

"Don't waste your time on Alex Iz. Alex is Alex." Evi says.

"Thanks, guys. For the support." Izzie says upset.

Bailey enters the room. "Who's on call tonight?" She asks.

"I am." Izzie speaks.

"All right, the rest of you go home. Sleep. All 5 quints are still alive. It's a good day."

As surgeons we ignore our own needs so we can meet our patients' needs.

Izzie watches as they all leave the room.

We ignore our friends and families so we can save other people's friends and families. Which means that at the end of the day all we really have is ourselves, and nothing in this world can make you feel more alone than that.

•.•.•

"Oh, does anyone have any decent food?" Cristina asks as Meredith and George enter the locker room with the rest of the interns.

"You really should eat breakfast." George says.

"God, you sound like Burke. You know sometimes I think we would be better off with dogs." Cristina says.