Chapter 3

"Can't believe that worked!" Mason thought to himself with a laugh, shocked beyond belief it had been that easy.

He got out of the taxi outside of a library, managing to pay with someone else's wallet who had been walking by and thank the man with a kind smile who returned it with a glittering golden tooth. After the taxi had left, Mason ran after the guy and made it seem like the guy had dropped it who thanked him before being on his way. Mason himself ducked into the library which had little to no windows on the first floor, a balcony second floor above him where several teenagers grouped together chatting, while Mason ducked between bookshelves and pretended to search for something to do.

"Maybe if I hang around here for a while, they'll loose me long enough to escape this town and skip to the next one before they find me," Mason thought to himself as he spied security cameras around the place.

Mason knew all too well what these hunters were capable of. They could run cross country after him if needed, they were like the people from the spy movies who could break into anywhere and get whatever they want, and most of them were tech savvy so hacking into the library's security footage would be no sweat for them.

"Why couldn't I have been born back in the old days when there were no cameras and just eye witnesses? It'd be so much easier to loose them but oh no. Someone just had to invent all this cool stuff like cameras and fast automobiles. Let's make it harder for supernatural people to live," Mason grumbled to himself as he looked around and actually found himself looking. He could sense the hunters had, in fact, passed him by so he knew he had some time to kill before they found him. Not a whole lot of time but some.

Currently Mason found himself in the history section but he moved to the fiction section that had a broad selection of fictional stories, mostly corny romance ones that made him cringe as he saw the cover with the "hot" man with flowing long hair and his maiden who cling to him for dear life, but he found quite a few filled with adventure and mystery which is what he liked. Though he also liked the romantic drama within the adventure to and even found a boys-love pirate adventure book.

"I wish I could buy you so I could read you," Mason whimpered, staring at the cover after reading the description but he knew even if he could take it with him it'd get ruined or he'd lose it while on the run still. "But for now, let's read."

Mason moved toward the chairs in the center of the room, thought better of it seeing the few windows he could see showed a parking lot on the other side, and ascended the stairs to sit on a loveseat away from the group of teens he'd noticed earlier.

"Can you believe Tiff got herself pregnant with that dead beat boyfriend of hers? I bet he's gonna ditch her and leave her all alone with the baby. Just you watch," one of the girls sassed, filing her nails with a bright pink file while her friend sitting next to her scoffed.

"I bet he'll run before it's even born. He hates taking responsibility for anything, ever. Remember during summer camp when he and those three guys did that huge prank? He pinned the blame all on them!" her friend said while smacking on gum and both flipped back their long blonde hair over their shoulders as their similar blue eyes gave each other a knowing look before going back to their gum and file duties.

"She shouldn't even stay with him at all. If he does stick around, what do you think he's gonna do? Steal all her money, doubt he'd help with the child at all, and I bet you anything he'll become more of an alcoholic," a guy sitting across from them said who wore a skin tight shirt, skinny jeans, and black and white converse that had a rainbow strip on the sides.

"Her fault for getting knocked up. If she wants to ruin her life with that guy then let her," a second guy said who was tossing a football up in the air over his head and catching it.