Chapter 16

So I've been writing this book for a while and just realized I haven't been capitalizing the A in Alpha and the L in Luna (which, of course, I'll fix when I revise this book later) which is just ACK but for those who get irked when they don't see the proper capitalization, bare with me and I hope you'll continue to read

"Stay still," the beta woman behind him instructed, mixing blue dye into a bowl of paint while Mason trembled all over.

They were inside a storage closet by the stage area, everyone preparing outside of the room for the joining; a large white circle that had been sewn into a large carpet that was spread out in the middle of the meeting room, all the chairs and benches put up to make room for it and candles were being set up on large candlesticks around the circle for light in the dim room. The alpha himself was in another room to be marked with the ceremonial marks of the joining process. Not all packs did this, some dropped the practice and just did the ceremony as they wished like a simple business transaction, but there were quite a few who kept up it as a way to honor the Moon Goddess who gifted their ancestors the ability to shift many years ago.

"Stay still," the beta woman, Agatha if the boy remembered correctly, said again in a scolding manor while another, Hilda, was knotting a belt through the ceremonial robe around Mason's waist which was too small for the robes waistband.

"I-I'm st-staying a-as s-still as I p-possibly can," Mason stuttered out with his teeth chattering, trembling all over, and was biting at his nails with the women constantly slapping his hands away from his face.

"If you keep biting them, you'll get worms in your stomach," Hilda warned which seemed to do the trick, for a time, but Mason felt like he needed to do something or he'd go mad.

"Stay still!" Agatha said firmly, dabbing two of her fingers into the bowl of paint and moved to bring it to Mason's back but he was trembling too much.

"What if they don't want me to join?" Mason wheedled, looking over his shoulder at the woman who rolled her eyes with a wry smile.

"Almost the entirety of the pack was there today, others were told in great detail through the pack link, and no one spoke up against you. Have some confidence in yourself," Agatha said kindly, Hilda smiling at the boy as they tried to calm him while Mason hugged himself.

"What store do you go to for that? I'm afraid I've never been," Mason said with a sigh, rubbing a hand over his face when the door opened.

"How are things going?" Milly asked excitedly as she slipped into the room, wearing a ceremonial robe herself. It was blue with white moons pressed into the linen and showed off her belly wonderfully with the sash knotted over her belly.

"He's shaking too much to paint on him. He'll have squiggly lines all over his back and chest at this rate and even his face," Hilda said with a sigh, rubbing Mason's arm up and down while trying to hold him still while Agatha tried to paint on him but it was slow coming.

"Oh, baby. What has you trembling like a leaf?" Milly asked, coming over and taking Mason's hands in hers and looking him straight into his pale yellow eyes.

"Am I really worthy of joining this pack? I wouldn't be upset or blame you if you all sent me away from here and I promise not to come back. You'll never see me again," Mason rushed out, clinging onto her hands and enjoying her warmth, trying to engrave her pretty face into his memory and the kindness she showed him all this time.

"Don't be silly. You are more than worthy to join us. Call it luna's intuition," Milly said with a kind smile and cupped the side of Mason's face who leaned into her touch greedily, just in case he'd never feel this touch again, and looked her in her green eyes. "You'll never know if you'll fit in or not if you don't try. Right?" Milly said and pulled Mason's head down to her level to kiss him on the temple.