Chapter 24

"I love fast friends," Milly cooed when she saw Mason and Henry asleep in the living room, Mason sprawled out over Henry who was lying belly down. There were many books and notebooks laid out around them, Henry's homework Mason had been studying along with him until they'd both fallen asleep.

It had only been two weeks since they had first met and the boys were as thick as thieves, almost never without the other usually talking and hanging out at the library. Mason would always go to pick Henry up at school during his lunch break and they'd talk for hours, Mason would play with Henry in his wolf form, and Henry liked teaching Mason everything school had taught him once. It was actually thanks to Mason that Henry didn't get picked on as much thanks to his wisdom on how to avoid unsavory characters.

"Living on the street has some advantages. Few advantages... Honestly, as long as you know how to run or how to avoid those situations entirely, you're good," Mason had said when explaining how to flee from bullies which was run directly anywhere that had authority either to hover in their vicinity or talk to them directly so your pursuers wouldn't dare risk coming at you if they didn't want to get into trouble themselves.

"Our vice principal is really strict and loves giving kids detention so if I hang about him, I'd probably be fine," Henry said and, sure enough, it worked. Of course, he'd still have to learn how to immediately locate his "authoritative protection" when trouble is coming but Henry found himself with less bruises which made him happy for the time being.

"I hate throwing parties," Ajax suddenly growled as he entered the room from the long hallway where his office was located, holding a stack of papers all stuffed into a folder which he dropped onto the kitchen table in annoyance.

"Since when?" Milly asked with a chuckle, kissing him on the cheek when Ajax came over to give her a hug and a belly rub.

"Since our son has finally grace us with his presence after a full TWO YEARS without any contact with us or even a simple phone call. 'Hey, mom and dad. I've decided to travel to Egypt for a few months. Just thought you should know.' Is that too much to ask for?" Ajax grumbled as he started making Milly some lunch who was craving pickles with peanut butter and mustard sauce into one sandwich.

"He was just excited, being away from home for the first time without us. It's not uncommon for Alpha son's to go exploring the world before they succeed their pack," Milly said defensively but it was clear she was also troubled.

"Half a year to go to all the packs in the United States to search for his mate and put himself out there in case any Luna's come of age who want to try their luck with him later? Fine! Completely understand that. Another half year to go search through the United Kingdom and even Asia? Alright. Weird but at least he's thorough. Then he was in Mexico, Hawaii, Canada, the Bahamas, almost everywhere. The only reason we knew he was in Egypt until last month was because the pack leader, Ahmad, called me to let me know they were taking great care of him since he, apparently, broke his leg. He hurt himself and didn't even call us!" Ajax said, getting more upset with each word as he made Milly's sandwich only to find she wasn't hungry anymore having lost her appetite.

"He could be hurt again for all we know," Milly sniffled, rubbing at her eyes as Ajax leaned against the counter and let out a long sigh.

"It's been two years and I get it, on some part, why he's traveling and why he's searching through all the packs he can think of, but at least have the decency to check in with your parents at the very least. Not even one postcard!" Ajax huffed before taking a bite of the sandwich. Then he gagged and immediately rushed toward the sink to spit out all the contents in the mouth, washing his mouth out with the sink faucet. "That is disgusting! How can you eat that?" Ajax said, rushing upstairs to go scrub his teeth with his toothbrush which had Milly laughing into her hand.