Chapter 85

Christopher sat cross legged in the middle of his cell, eye closed breathing evenly. He cracked a eye open when the door opened. It wasn't meal time so it must be important. He slowly smiled that cold, cunning, business smile of his as Ajax stepped into the room staring down at him with a frown as they door closed behind him.

"Aren't you chipper," Ajax said with a flat tone, crossing his arms over his broad chest. His hair was up in a pony tail pushing it out of his face. He wanted nothing obscuring his view from the head hunter though Christopher was currently a defenseless human without any weapons. Still, he was being beyond careful. "So, liking your new digs? I'm sure it's no army base with machete's lining the walls and a pistol under your pillow but it's not that bad once you get used to it," Ajax said with a shrug, leaning against the wall quirking a smile down at Christopher who closed his eyes again like he was meditating.

"Why wouldn't I like it. The meals are delicious, the bed is nice and soft. My only complaint is the wet dog smell," Christopher said, sniffing the air in disgust causing Ajax to roll his eyes.

"Sorry about that. I could get you some air fresheners if you like and you can tell me why you've been chasing a helpless kid around the country," Ajax said, spreading his arms like he was being so charitable.

"You know what we are after. To protect the world from you monsters and to eradicate you completely if we can," Christopher said with a shrug, like he wasn't talking about mass murder and extinction all in one sentence.

"Says the man who had so many weapons on his person, my guys reported they were in the triple digits," Ajax said with an arched brow when Christopher fixed him with a level gaze.

"Coming from the 'man' who could easily tear apart a car like it was made of paper," Christopher said, a dark expression on his face like he knew first hand how that was like.

"Moving on," Ajax drawled, waving a hand in the air. "I'm keenly aware what you and your people have sworn to do and I understand why you do it. Just like among humans in political power, abusing their power, there are werewolves who use their enhanced abilities to reign over those weaker than them. Those people need to be stopped. I'd do it myself if given the chance. However, what I don't understand is why you've been chasing Mason for months on end across the country. I've asked him myself why you and your hunter's would be interested in him but he doesn't know either. I imagine you know what it means when I say I've asked him, yes?" Christopher didn't answer but closed his eyes again, taking a deep breath and letting it out through his nose. "If you're goal really is to exterminate every werewolf in your path, then so be it. However, you've been skulking around this town ever since Mason has been staying with us and no one has been hurt or turned up missing. You had the chance to kill two young alpha's, a visiting child and my own son. You could have taken him with you back to your rat hole- I mean hunter's base yet you left him unconscious in the parking lot and went straight for a little omega runt instead." Christopher didn't react to any of it, still meditating by the looks of it, but Ajax noticed how still the man was. His heart rate was being normally, a little too steadily. "Any thoughts on the subject?"

"His wolf is rather cute, don't you think?" Christopher asked with that business smile of his, talking almost conversationally. "So small and playful."

"Please don't tell me you're one of those hunter freaks who want to keep werewolves as pets because I killed the last one I ran into and I'm not morally against doing it again if you're going to try to put all of us in collars and cutesy clothes," Ajax said, pretending to model for Christopher who arched a brow curiously up at the alpha. "Don't ask. I've been mentally pushing that memory out of my head and I'm not about to let the dam fall," Ajax said seriously, pointing a warning finger down at Christopher. He held his hands up in surrender, the cuffs clinking as he moved.