Chapter 90

"You're not going anywhere near that man, period," Nicholas said in what he thought sounded like a final tone, Mason masking a giggle behind his hand as they walked through the neighborhood toward the hospital. "That jerk is just taking a shot in the dark, using this chance to try and kill you. I'll roundhouse the Mr. Freeze wannabe," Nicholas growled, circling an arm around Mason pulling him against his side. Mason blushed, smiling to himself, glancing up at Nicholas who was still grumbling under his breath.

"Mr. Freeze?" Mason questioned, fidgeting with his hands in front of him unsure what to do with them until Nicholas's hand caught both of Mason's in his. Mason started fidgeting with Nicholas's fingers who glanced down with a small smile but he had a disbelieving look on his face at Mason's question.

"Do you not know who Batman is? I'm no nerd like that freak-"

"Henry," Mason corrected, pocking Nicholas in the ribs.

"... but even I know who Batman is and his main super villains," Nicholas said, Mason giggling again which made Nicholas smile even more. "Seriously though, no more crazy hunter people for you mister. You've had enough of them to last you a lifetime," Nicholas said waggling a finger at Mason, scolding him it seemed. Koda had their head nodding up and down, snapping his teeth at that finger making both Mason and Nicholas laugh.

"That makes it sound like I slept with all those hunter's," Mason said, arching a brow at Nicholas who growled with a look of rage at the mere thought.

"Point is, you're not going anywhere near that psycho. Over my dead body," Nicholas grumbled.

"Your dad said he'd set something up like a prison with a glass wall between us and him so he can't do anything but talk to us through holes in the window," Mason said, waving at some omega friends as they were walking by.

"Physical abuse isn't the only way he can attack you," Nicholas reminded Mason seriously, Mason looking down staring at his feet as they walked. "The decision is ultimately up to you but that guy seems like the mad genius type. The kind of person who talks about highly immoral acts like mass murder and say it in such a way that sound so convincing, making the utmost sense, to the point that you're questioning your own values and ideas finding yourself nodding along and agreeing with the crazy nut case," Nicholas said in a small rant with Mason staring at him the entire time as they walked, Mason's eyebrows rising higher and higher until they disappeared into his hairline. "What?"

"Do you have experience with 'crazy nut case' people?" Mason asked him, the hospital coming into view. They were visiting Roxanne, checking up on her and, to Mason and Koda's dismay, Mason had an appointment with Dr. Bee who wanted to study his abnormally small wolf body.

"Did you forget the psycho who had a bunch of humans in his basement including the psycho woman we're about to go see?" Nicholas asked, Mason scowling up at him as they passed through the hospital doors. The receptionist greeted them as they approached the desk, Mason begrudgingly filling out the paperwork for his appointment before they wandered over to the maternity hall. "Anyways, just think carefully and know that I will rip his heart out with one word from you." Mason ignored him, peeking around looking for Dr. Bee. "One noise and I'll cut his head off." More ignoring and worriedly looking around. "Blink your eyes twice. I'll make his disappear."

"Are you sure you're not a crazy nut case?" Mason asked with a barely concealed giggle, peeking up at Nicholas who scowled down back at him with a pout.

They approached the window, Mason letting out a squeal as Nicholas tickled them, when both of them froze as the saw Roxanne, still laying on the hospital bed holding her baby in her arms, sobbing uncontrollably staring down into her baby's face who was crying right along with her. Morgana was standing next to the bed rubbing her arm, looking a little freaked and helpless. Nicholas was moving even before he seemed to know it, vanishing from Mason's side slipping through the door. Immediately, Morgana's head whipped around like a prairie dog letting out a low growl. Nicholas froze five feet from the bed, hands up and raised like that would somehow defuse the territorial situation between them, but Morgana glanced down at Roxanne with a pained helpless look on her face again. She closed her eyes taking a moment to collect herself, breathing in deeply, before locking eyes with Nicholas and subtly nodding her head. Mason's heart was hammering in his chest as he watched this from the window, Nicholas slowly approaching the bed trying not to set Morgana off who was gripping the bed railing so hard that it cracked under her palm watching Nicholas's movements like a hawk. Her eyes were glowing but she was more concerned with Roxanne who was practically gasping for air between sobs, her arms trembling as her baby squirmed about wailing at the top of his lungs. Morgana finally let the bed railing go, parts of it falling to the ground, and reached for the baby gently lifting it from Roxanne's arms who hugged herself tightly, her eyes never leaving her baby even as Nicholas gently smoothed a hand over her hair brushed it away from her face talking softly.