Chapter 14

After more questions, some on Mason's part, Mason found himself alone in the room while Ajax and that beta spoke to one another until the long dark haired alpha came back into the room, alone, to sit across from Mason who trembled under his gaze again and was still at a loss for words when Ajax looked at Mason and asked outright, "You wanna join my pack or not?"

"Wha- But I'm a... You know!" Mason stuttered, flabbergasted.

"Not anymore if you agree. If you don't want to, no hard feelings. I'll let you leave if that's what you'd like but... joining me, you'd automatically get a room in the pack house. Wouldn't need to sleep outside or steal. Whatever you've been doing up till now," Ajax said and leaned forward on the table which made Mason flinch a little but that was mostly because of the alpha aura surrounding around Ajax that reeked of dominance and strength which Mason could barely fathom who felt a little dizzy from it. "I promise, if you join me, I will watch over you like I would my own child and ensure your safety. You'll live in the pack house until you can stand on your own two feet with income from jobs in the humans town or even within the pack territory if you like. I believe you're still underage so we could discuss putting you in the human high school in the area if you're up for it. Also, my wife would like you to know that we are here for you personally if you ever need anything," Ajax told Mason who was gawking at the table where the alpha's hands were neatly folded in front of him as he leaned against the table and was clearly looking at Mason, that the boy could vaguely make out through the rough reflection of the metal table, which was making the boy tremble but Mason found some surge of confidence to tip his head back and looked Ajax in his bright blue eyes which seemed to reflect the pale yellow of Mason's back at him.

"I..."

Mason couldn't speak. His tongue caught in his throat and it was no longer the fear of an alpha in front of him that plagued him, though that was still clearly there at the forefront of his mind, but the realization that he had an out. A way to stop running around the country, the world, without a purpose  or a goal. To actually have home a home to go back to after a long day, to have on single bed that he could call his own that he could sink into at the end of the day, a permanent roof over his head, even people willing to look after him while he figured himself out. Mason had no words, no thoughts, but a barely recognizable emotion as tears filled in his eyes for the second time that day, blurring his vision, and a sob tore through him the resonated with the pain and hardships Mason had to endure.

Wandering forever, usually sleeping wherever he could, forging for food best he could and barely scrounging up money, any at all, to feed himself or even book a room somewhere for the night so he wasn't curled up under some tent he'd made in an alleyway to protect him from the rain. Mason felt his life flash before his eyes, his body trembling all over and he couldn't hold it in as pure and utter relief flooded him to the brim and over.

"Thank you," Mason barely choked out, nodding his head vigorously, and managed to glimpse a soft smile on Ajax's lips before the tears blinded him again.

"Your welcome, kid. Milly will definitely be thrilled to hear that," Ajax said and gently took Mason's shaking hands in his who was uncontrollably sobbing.

"Are you ready?" Milly asked excitedly, holding Mason's trembling hands who was considering running for the hills as fast as he could right then and there.

Ajax had guided Mason back to the pack house while he went to call a pack meeting that would be held in a town hall not far from the house where Milly and Mason were holed up at the moment, the punished children still outside scrubbing at their teachers car who had stared at Mason on Ajax's shoulder, once again a pup with his clothes in the bag again. Mason was sitting on the floor by Milly's feet as a human now, Milly sitting on the couch rubbing her belly while petting Mason's head with her free hand trying to sooth him, who was freaking out internally while his heart raced faster than the speed of light.