Chapter 7

A loud ringing wouldn't cease from Mason's ears for the longest time as he scrubbed at his eyes, as if he could rub away the black dots swimming in his vision, when everything seemed to come back to him in an instant. His sight, his hearing, and even the fever the alpha had forced upon him which made him dizzy again for a moment but the happenings around him made Mason hyper focused around him as he scrambled up against the same tree the flashing arrow had embedded itself into.

All around him were people with weapons on one side and large wolves on the other with a smattering of people who either looked human or looked like some kind of mix between human and wolf. Guns and bows were trained on their targets, leering eyes penetrated through the men as they decided where they wanted to strike first, and the forest became eerily quiet as the two sides, hunter and werewolf, came to a stand still with Mason directly in the middle against a large oak tree.

"What were they thinking!?" Mason panicked in his head, staring at the hunters and he could see Christopher slowly making his way to the front lines with his rifle trained on the alpha whose red eyes were glowing bright with anger as he huffed and growled at the men before him.

"You dare attack me and my kin!?" the alpha growled lowly and looked ready to lunge at Christopher but appeared not wanting to make the first move. Thing is, Christopher didn't either, which Mason knew all too well. That's probably how he'd gotten away from them so many times since they often waited for him to make a move but he'd run away instead.

"Don't bark at me, mutt. I can shoot accurately at two hundred yards with this thing and I could easily kill you on the spot from here," Christopher spat back at the alpha which Mason knew all too well about too. He'd narrowly dodged said shot once...

"What exactly is your problem? We know who you are, Christopher Vale," the alpha said suddenly, crossing his arms over his chest like easier.

Christopher flinched a little, the other hunters staring back in surprise. "And you know my name because...?" Christopher questioned and suddenly seemed more weary of the alpha when he had been trying to seem stoic.

"Word gets around and I know for a fact that your Christopher Vale, werewolf hunter and the leader of your hunter organization thing. I know you hunt werewolves, especially after a rouge werewolf killed your mother and scarred you," the alpha went on and Mason watched Christopher flinched at the mention of his mother. "I also know you track down similar werewolves who feel that they are above humans and hold no reserve about killing them so you put them down. So I ask you again, seeing as me and my kin have done nothing of the sort... You dare attack my kin right in front of me, u provoked?" the alpha growled out, low and quiet but his words carried with a weight that made even the hunters squirm. Christopher was unmoved and almost seemed unimpressed.

"You say unprovoked but what is that I see there?" Christopher asked and suddenly turned his body, aiming his gun down at the base of the oak try where Mason sat who was struggling a little to stay conscious. He flinched when all eyes were on him and even whimpered a little.

"What? The little rouge pup you've been chasing for months, or so I hear? Losing your touch, buddy boy?" the alpha asked with a smirk which had some of his pack chuckling to themselves.

Christopher's eyes narrowed and the rifle was trained on the alpha again which had several growls rising in the air which made Mason tremble and curl up on himself. "Maybe I have lost my touch. Or, more likely than not, he's been getting help from a certain pack as of late. He did run here to you, basically, and your even taking him home with you by the looks of it," Christopher said and narrowed his eyes on the alpha.

The alpha, in turned, quirked a brow at the man before glancing down at Mason who wished they'd just forget about him so he couldn't crawl away and never be seen by them again. "This is the first time I've met the lad and as far as I know, he stumbled on our lands by mistake. I was taking him with me so we could ask him some more questions and decide what to do with him after. You know, us. His kind," the alpha said and stared down at Christopher who was watching him carefully, probably trying to seduce if the man spoke the truth or not.