Chapter 58

"Henry? Are you okay?" Mason asked as he helped the young man sit up against the kitchen counter after finally convincing him to raise his arms from his head. Henry had a small cut on his forehead with a line of blood trailing down the side of his face and dripping down his chin with a slot of it smeared on his face painting it red. His dark grey hoodie was stained, especially his forearms that had been directly on his head, and Mason was pretty sure Henry's pupil's were larger than they should be. "Call Dr. Bee or an ambulance. Either one, please," Mason said, looking up at Nicholas and Hunter who were using their bodies to block the crowd's view.

With Ms. Conner away, disappeared into the garage, everyone in the crowd surged forward and gathered in front of the house in front of the large living room window. Not everyone could see through the window of course, either because the window wasn't wide enough or there was too much debris outside for them to get a better look. Cleary they still wanted to stay out of the drama but had gotten a little confident with the proximity to it as they stood just outside gazing in and still, quietly, making bets with one another about anything they could possibly think of.

"Five bucks says one of them gets shot by the Conner woman."

"Twenty on one of them being the Conner boy's boyfriend."

"Alright but I bet ten on that red head being his boyfriend. Look how he's caring for him. There's no way that's just friendship."

"Who wants to bet if I can seduce one of those strong, muscular, young men?"

Nicholas and Hunter slowly turned around, a low growl rising in Hunter's throat, and they glared at the crowd who flinched under their gazes and started looking elsewhere pretending to talk amongst one another or finding the scenery around them interesting. Mason let out a sigh, seeing Nicholas using the pack link looking like he spaced out, before turning back to Henry. The boy was trembling all over, barely processing what was going on around him, and his hands were a trembling mess in his lap. Mason gently took Henry's hands into his own and tried to look Henry in the eye but Henry hadn't even looked at any of them. It was like he'd shut himself down entirely and needed waking up which seemed like an emotional wall but Mason wasn't sure seeing how pale and sweaty Henry was.

"Henry?" Mason called again, squeezing both of Henry's hands trying to get any reaction out of boy and it seemed to work as Henry blinked and suddenly looked up to focus his gaze on Mason.

"Y-your here?" Henry said, looking surprised and even a little... ashamed? "I'm guessing you saw it all, huh? Everything?" Henry asked with a humorless laugh and almost seemed hopeful, his lip wobbling a little and fresh tears streaming down his face mixing with the blood.

It broke Mason's heart...

"Henry, are you okay? Can you stand?" Mason asked, trying to help Henry up to his feet but the boy wouldn't budge and didn't seem to hear the red head.

"You guys don't have to worry. This happens every now and then so there's nothing to worry about. She gets into a relationship with a man, usually a wealthy man or something, and once they've been dating for three months starts believing they'll get married. She'll come back inside soon, drink some whine, and go to bed-"

The roar of a car engine caught everyone's attention and Henry's head whipped around with a look of utter shock on his face. The garage door creaked upward with an audible groan and a dark grey BMW cruised down the driveway that looked way too nice and clean just like all of Ms. Conner's clothes compared to her real home life. Ms. Conner wore expensive sunglasses and had a hat on her head, like she was a celebrity trying to hide from the paparazzi. She didn't even look at the house, not even a glance at anyone gathered on the lawn or through the big window. Just started driving and was soon turning a corner out of sight leaving everyone standing on the lawn.