Up at Night

Up at night

Her phone was ringing at the worst time. She looked at the man quivering in front of her. This was not her night, or rather day, depending on what side of the world you were on.

"Don't move. If I have to hunt you down, you won't move ever again. Not even to blink." The man didn't say a word or made a movement to agree. She didn't expect an answer from him. Fear tended to paralyze people.

She created a small, black dome around her, blocking her image and voice from the man and any devices, which she might haven't noticed. She shed her demon skin, and her normal appearance resurfaced. She answered the still ringing device.

"What!" She was too irritated to pretend to be courteous.

"Woah, someone's upset. Or, are you just angry, because you are away from me?" Rachael tensed at the voice of her boyfriend. Boyfriend. She couldn't believe that she was dating Nightwing after so many years. She couldn't believe that she was talking to him while doing something that she wasn't supposed to be doing.

"Should you be calling me at work?" She asked, not knowing how to answer his question in this situation. She didn't want to lie, but she couldn't tell him the truth.

"That's why I'm calling. I'm leaving work now. I was wondering if you want to get together for a movie and a late-night snack at your place?"

She started to panic. She knew how long it would take for him to reach her place from the police department. She didn't know if she would make it back in time. "It doesn't have to be my place. I can go to your place. You're the one who is leaving work now." She could come up with an excuse later and arrive at his place later than plan, or not at all.

"You will be leaving work, too. Plus, you always fall asleep towards the end of the movie. And I don't like you using your power to transport yourself when you're sleepy. I worry that you will end up some place that you shouldn't be." It was a legitimate concern. It had happened once when she was younger.

"Okay, just take a shower before you come by." She said to buy more time. "You smell like old doughnuts and the department when you work the second or third shift."

"I don't know if I should be offended or relieved that you are being honest." Her heart clenched; she wasn't honest all the time.

"Relief. Besides, you are a reflection of me now. I have to look out for both of our reputations." Sometimes, she amazed herself on how she could act normal when she was in panic mode.

He chuckled. "Fine. I won't be the one to bring this ship down. Any other requests before I get off the phone."

She racked her brain for something. "Yes, can you...buy candy and chips from the gas station? And dip, if they have any."

"Hello," She said when he didn't say anything.

"Sorry about that. Someone stopped me. They wanted me to sign something. No problem. You must be having a really bad night if you want sweets at night."

"You have no idea." She mumbled, thinking about all the trouble that she had caused earlier in the morning on this side of the planet. She had wanted to complete everything last night, but complications had arisen.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. I'm just craving sweets."

"Well, sweets you shall have. I'll see you soon."

"See you soon."

"Love you." He hung up, leaving her to blush. He always ended their conversations or departure like that; even though, she had yet to return the endearment back.