Tunnels

Tunnels

Finding the deactivator was easier than it should have been; however, Nightwing wasn't complaining. The faster they found the deactivator, the faster they could find Slade.

Yet, something wasn't right. Why would Slade tell them the locations of the deactivators? Why would he target Cyborg's company? What was he trying to accomplish? What was Slade's endgame?

He couldn't figure out Slade's methodology or logic behind whatever game he was playing this time around. He had liked to think after years of fighting Slade that he had come to understand the criminal mastermind. But now, he felt that he didn't know him at all.

Everything that Slade was doing since he had returned didn't fit his MO. Or maybe, it was that he didn't have all the pieces to the puzzle.

Changeling whistled, pulling Nightwing from his thoughts. "That's one big deactivator." Nightwing looked at the deactivator that when from the ceiling to the ground. "

"When does Slade find the time and equipment to build a deactivator? And how come no one ever notices?" Changeling asked as they rushed over to the deactivator.

"We can ask Slade later when we catch him. Right now, let's find a way to turn off the machine."

He was opening up his communicator, which held a small computer, to scan the deactivator. However, he was halted from doing so by the appearance of Slade on the screen of his device.

"I see that you found the power source for the bombs." He glanced up quickly at Changeling, who nodded and pulled out his communicator. He started to scan the deactivator while he talked with Slade.

"What? You didn't think that we wouldn't find it?" Nightwing taunted Slade. "You are pretty easy to figure out." He said instead of what he was thinking just a few moments earlier.

Slade chuckled. "Easy?" He said in a sinister voice. "We can't make it too easy, can we? You might get bored. So, how about we have a little fun." One of Nightwing's eyebrow rose at the word fun. He was sure that his and Slade's definition of fun was totally different from one another.

"Instead of the original time that I have given you, you now have ten minutes to deactivate my bombs."

Changeling yelp at the time change on the deactivator before narrowing his eyes at Nightwing. He could practically hear Changeling said, 'You had to say something.'

He watched as Changeling started to worked on it. Over the years, he had become proficient at working on bomb and other explosive devices.

"Oh, Nightwing. While you are playing with that toy of mine, I will be playing with another." The screen went blanked.

"What did you think the toy is?" Changeling asked him.

"I don't know," he answered as he began to work on another side of the deactivator. He had been paying attention what Changeling was doing on the other side. "We will worry about it later after we finish with this." He said while calling the mayor to report the situation and to get an update on the evacuation.

"We need to speed this up." He told Changeling after his quick phone call with the mayor. The new time at Slade had given them didn't allow for the people living and working in the five-minutes radius a chance to escape.

He made another call. This time to his teammate.

"Nightwing-" He heard Cyborg started before he cut him off.

that we only have eight minutes to deactivate the bombs. It would take another fifteen minutes to get everyone out of the five-mile radius. You and Raven need to find the deactivator now. Changeling and I already located