XXXI.

IMMORTAL CHILDREN

IMMORTAL CHILDREN

"The immortal children were very beautiful. So enchanting. To be near them was to love them. But their development was frozen at the age they were turned. They couldn't be taught or restrained. A single tantrum could destroy an entire village." Carlisle explained as Bella flicked through the paged of an old hook.

"Humans heard about the devastation. Stories spread. The Volturi were forced to intervene. Since the children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed." Melanie sighed, telling the story that her sisters had to go through, luckily for Melanie, this was before she or Carmen joined the Denali clan.

"Their creators grew very attached and fought to protect them. Long-established covens were torn apart. Countless humans, slaughtered. Traditions, friends, even families. Lost."

"So the Denali's mother made an immortal child?"

"Yes, she never wanted to lose her child, but she did, and she also paid the price along with it," Melanie replied to Bella's question. "The Volturi ripped her apart, before killing the child along with her, making my sisters watch as their mother died, and then their brother."

"Well, Renesmee's nothing like those children. She was born, not bitten. She grows every single day."

"So can't you just explain that to the Volturi?" Jacob asked, causing Melanie to roll her eyes at his stupid question.

"Aro had enough proof in Irina's thoughts." Edward shook his head.

A moment of silence passed before Jacob spoke up. "So we fight."

"Their offensive weapons are too powerful," Jasper replied. "No one can stand against Jane."

"No one besides Melanie," Bella spoke up.

"We won't be using Melanie as a weapon." Alice seethed out causing Melanie to hold her wife tighter in an attempt to calmer her down.

"Well, then we convince them," Bella said.

"They're coming to kill us, not talk." Melanie rolled her eyes, she knew if there was a fight against the Volturi, she would lose members of her family, and she wasn't prepared for that.

"No, you're right." Edward sighed. "They won't listen to us. But maybe others can convince them. Carlisle, you have friends all around the world."

Carlisle stood his ground, his hands folded as he shook his head. "I won't ask them to fight."

"Not fight. Witness. If enough people knew the truth, maybe we could convince the Volturi to listen." Edward continued.

Esme turned to her husband, placing her hand on his arm. "We can ask this of our friends."

Carlisle eventually agreed, and the next morning the family would split to different parts of the world to convince their friends.

But Melanie could sense something was wrong with Alice, which is why now the two vampires were out in the woods, down at their hidden lake that they sit at to get away from their family.

"I'm telling you this because I know you would worry if I didn't, and I know you can keep your thoughts hidden from Edward and Aro." Alice sighed, speaking as she sat between Melanie's legs.

"What's wrong, Alice?" Melanie questioned, worry-filled inside her.

"I need to leave for a while, there's a witness that I know of, I want to go and convince him to come and join us, but If the rest of the family know, then so will Aro," Alice explained. "I would ask you to come with, of course, but then it would be obvious that we're up to something."

"I understand." Melanie nodded. "Although I'm not happy with you going alone, not with the Volturi onto us already. Take Jasper and Caroline with you, please." Melanie pleaded, laying her forehead against Alice's.

Alice nodded, a smile on her face, she had always found Melanie's worrying adorable, considering her wife rarely showed her soft side to anyone besides her.

Alice and Melanie stayed in each other's arms for the next few hours before Alice left with Jasper and Caroline later that night, listening to the water move in the lake and the animals run around the forest.

Taking in every moment they had with each other because they weren't sure when they'd be in each other's arms again.

WORDS: 703
STATUS: UNEDITED

WORDS: 703STATUS: UNEDITED