XXXVI.

AS THE SNOW STICKS

AS THE SNOW STICKS

The wind howling was all that could be heard other than that chatting of the vampires that stood deep in the woods.

Jacob was attempting to make a bonfire when Benjamin lit his finger on fire, then all five of them, and sending the flames to the wood.

"That's what I'm talkin' about," Jacob smirked. "A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories." He continued as he looked up to see Zafrina and Senna, standing in front of each other. "Or just standing there like frickin' statues."

Garrett sped over, sitting a little away from Melanie. "Name any American battle. I was there."

"Little Bighorn." Jacob challenged.

"I came this close-"Garrett started, holding his fingers up to show the small size. "-to biting Custer. But the Indians got him first."

Kate was suddenly sitting on Garretts knew. "Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople. He didn't win that one on his own."

"If you're talking battles, you're talking the Eleven Years' War." Liam started, the leader of the Irish coven. "No one does the rebellion like the Irish."

"You lost the Eleven Years' War," Garrett stated.

"Aye. But it was one hell of a rebellion."

All the vampires, including Jacob, was now sat around the bonfire, sitting on logs and yelling their own stories. "When we ruled, everything came to us," Vladimir spoke. "Prey, diplomats, favour seekers. Such was our power. But we never put on white hats and called ourselves saints."

"We were honest about what we were," Stefan added.

"We sat still for a very long time. We didn't notice we were beginning to petrify." Vladimir continued.

"Perhaps the Volturi did us a favour when they... burned our castles." Said Stefan.

Vladimir looked around at everyone before he confided. "We've been waiting 1500 years to return that favour. We have been ready to do battle for ages-"

Melanie zoned out the rest of the story, noticing Edward standing himself further away, she decided to take this time to speak with him.

"I can't help thinking." Edward started as Melanie reached him. "All these people are putting themselves in danger because I fell in love with a human."

"None of these people are here against their will, Edward. You found your mate, even if it caused a lot of stuff. You deserve to be happy."