XXXIV.

SHIELD

SHIELD

Everyone knew Aro's army was moving against them, soon they would have to face the dark gifts of Jane. And worse the paralysing vapid of her brother Alec, who could rob you of sight, sound, and touch.

Melanie could only hope that the twins wouldn't try anything with her because of Jane's love for the Denali, the problem? She knew as soon as a fight broke out, Jane would go straight for Alice.

Melanie would just have to kill her first.

The Cullens were currently outside once again, Melanie stood beside Nik and Lupin as she watched Bella practice her gift, everyone knew it would take a very powerful vampire to be able to affect Bella's shield, which was the reason she was trying to project her shield into someone other than herself.

"You need to visualise it," Kate told her. "See how it moves. What colour it is." Bella began to concentrate, her eyebrows knit together. "Now picture it expanding. Will it go beyond you."

A clear mist began forging its way out of Bella, but as she continued to keep it there, I surged back, causing the newborn to sigh.

"I think she needs something to motivate her," Melanie smirked while looking at Edward, his mouth parented a little before he looked at Kate who nodded, and then Bella.

"No," Bella said as he stepped forward.

"It's all right, I can take it." He said Melanie was almost positive he was mostly saying it to himself.

"He says that now," Garrett says making Melanie laugh.

"Focus, Bella, or he's gonna be hurting." Emmett joked.

Edward raised his hand forward, Bella looked in fear at Kate and her husband. "Edward, I'm not ready to do this yet." But before she could finish her sentence, Kate's hand touched his arm, he fell to the ground with a grunt. "I'm sorry. I said that I wasn't ready."

"Dude, you're not motivating her." Emmett mocked.

"You want to try?" Edward snapped causing Emmett to put his hands up in surrender.

Bella tried again, but as soon as Edward started groaning her concentration was snapped. "Kate!" She yelled once she noticed the Denali hadn't stopped electrocuting her husband.

"You seem to lack incentive. Shall I go see if Renesmee's awake?" Kate said, raising her eyebrow as she turned to walk towards the house.

"Are you crazy?" Bella fumed as she walked towards Kate.

"All right." Kate shrugged, lifting her hand again. "This one's on full power."

Edward looked at Bella with wide eyes, when Kate's hand made contact with Edward's arm, Melanie expected him to fall to the ground again, but this time he stayed standing, his eyebrows furrowed and an agonising expression on his face.

"It's painful but it's bearable," Edward informed once Kate stopped using her gift. Bella smiled proudly, as Melanie silently nodded towards her, telling her a well done.

"Okay, we should go again." Bella nodded, confident in herself this time.

Edward was quick to move backwards, turning towards his brother. "Emmett."

"I'm good."

As the sunset and the stars came out, Melanie was sat on the balcony, drinking blood out of a glass and listening to the crickets chirp, when suddenly Bella charged in. "How long have you know?"

"You'll have to elaborate," Melanie replied, not bothering to look at her.

"How long have you known why Alice, Jasper and Caroline left?"

"Um, since the night before they left, I'm using you found the note?" Melanie spoke, setting the glass down on the little wooden table that was beside her.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Bella questioned.

"I wanted to see how hard your brain could work, I will say I'm surprised, you figured it out faster than I thought you would have."

Bella rolled her eyes, before sitting down next to her. "Where are they?" She questioned.

"All I know is that they're away to find someone." Melanie replied.

"Can you come with me tomorrow? To you know, meet with Mr. J?"

Melanie nodded before answering. "Yeah, sure."

"Thanks," Bella said before leaving Melanie herself again, to her thoughts.

To say she missed Alice was an understatement, she missed her presence, her smile, the way the smaller girl would quiver under her touch.

God, she needed to get her mind out of the gutter.

WORDS: 762
STATUS: UNEDITED
NOTE; Aaaaand another short chapter, are you even surprised anymore, on that note, how are you guys liking this story? I have an issue when I constantly want to scrap everything I do and completely start over like a million times, my brain goes haywire and I automatically think everything I do is well, shit dndjdjdj

WORDS: 762STATUS: UNEDITEDNOTE; Aaaaand another short chapter, are you even surprised anymore, on that note, how are you guys liking this story? I have an issue when I constantly want to scrap everything I do and completely start over like a milli...