Prologue

"Not heartless, just learned to use the heart less."

- Unknown

I carefully cut my asparagus into smaller pieces so I can chew it well and not choke on it again like last week, because the stories Megan always tells me during our lunch break are hilarious. And she doesn't even try to make it funny, it's just the things that happen to her that make you doubt their veracity. But they are real.

One thing I love about our lunch breaks is my company, which mostly consists of Megan, Lizzy, and Josh. We have been friends since I started working here and have been inseparable ever since. Not only are we good friends, but we are also partners in most of our company's projects.

As a creative team - except Josh - of an ad agency, we are together every day, brainstorming and coming up with interesting and well, creative media for our clients. I love working here. It can get stressful at times and it takes a lot of imagination, but we always do our best.

I snort with laughter as Megan starts poking at the meat on her plate with her knife as she tells me about the most recent date she had with a random guy, pretending to punish him for not offering her a ride home after their date.

Megan can be a bit aggressive with her feelings sometimes. I've never seen her not upset about something, but to justify her behavior I can admit that she hasn't really always been lucky in her life.

"I had to take the train home. At eleven p.m." she says the words slowly as if her intention is for me to understand exactly what she's saying. I can even see her left eye twitch. "I mean, I have no problem taking public transportation, but he asked me out on a date so it would be the least he could do. Right?"

"Yeah that's true," I agree. "But what if he was nervous and it just didn't cross his mind? He didn't look like an idiot in the pictures you showed me."

"Nah. I'm done with excuses." she huffs. "He asked me out on another date and I said no."

"Awe, that's kind of mean," I wince. "Everyone deserves a second chance."

She raises her eyebrow and looks me up and down. "That's why everyone who's in deep shit comes to you. You gotta start saying no."

I swallow the asparagus in my mouth. "I know how to say no," I point out.

She watches me suspiciously, nodding her head, but it's sarcastic. I hear the clicking sound of high heels then, running toward us with hasty steps.

"Mikayla," someone calls my name and in seconds April is standing next to me with a big smile on her red lips. "Thank God I found you."

"April." I smile back in a friendly way. I've known April for about two years. She started working here just after she graduated from college. I was her tutor for the first six months and I have to admit she is a sweet girl. "How are you?"

"Good," she replies out of breath before dropping into the chair next to me. "Actually, no awful. I need to ask you a favor."

I hear Megan sigh from across from me and I glance at her briefly, using my eyes to show her not to be rude. She shrugs her shoulder and mouths something to me, to which I don't reply. "Of course. What is it?" I ask, still smiling.

"My niece is sick and my sister needs someone to watch her." she starts to tell and I listen attentively, a bit pouty to have heard that her niece is not feeling well. "She couldn't find anyone, unfortunately, so she asked me. And I said yes, of course."