Nine

I'm waiting in the underground garage of our company, one hand on the handle of my suitcase and the other holding my handbag. It's Friday afternoon and we only had to work half the day today so we could leave the same day for the spa resort.

I had enough time to finish packing my suitcase and Megan helped me with that. Sometimes I get too excited and pack nine pairs of underwear for a three-day trip, but better safe than sorry. Who knows how many pairs of underwear you'll end up needing?

Anyway, I've been waiting here for more than fifteen minutes and Mr. Park is still not in sight. I've heard that the other colleagues have formed into groups and have already left.

I was initially going to go with Lizzie and Josh, but Lizzie already asked Josh and she owns a Smart. And because Megan is not going and the others already have their cars full, I had to note in my email to Mr. Park that I need a ride.

It's not a problem though because I find Mr. Park very charming anyway and he said he has exactly one spot left in his car. I really love that he is always so helpful and nice. I'm actually a little excited because he always manages to make me feel some type of way.

I check the time on my phone and it's now twenty minutes past the time we actually agreed on. I sigh and wonder if maybe Mr. Park forgot that I was going to be riding with him? I mean, it could happen because he's a busy man and who knows how many things he has on his mind at the same time.

I mentally go back over the things I packed to make sure I didn't forget anything important. It's a habit.

Just before I get to the end of my list that I've been scrolling through in my head, I hear the rumble of an engine and the screeching of tires. The underground parking garage is really noisy and it's the first time I've been here because I don't own a car myself.

A big, black car that looks like an SUV approaches me. A smile finds its way to my lips and I am happy that Mr. Park has not forgotten me after all. I take a step closer and the black foiled window on the passenger side rolls down.

"Mr. Jeon?" I ask in confusion as I see him sitting in the driver's seat, one hand on the steering wheel and the other leaning against his thigh.

"Do you need a ride?" he asks, completely ignoring my confused manner.

"No, thank you." I smile, politely declining his offer. "I'm waiting for Mr. Park. He said I can get a ride with him."

His jaw clenches. "I was already on my way," he says. "He was actually the one who said I should get back and check to see if anyone else was waiting here."

"Oh."

I'm not mad at Mr. Park or disappointed. As I feared, he must have forgotten I asked in my email. And that's fine.

"So, are you getting in or?" Mr. Jeon's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

I stare at him and then at his car, which, by the way, is a different one than the last two times I rode with him. I mean, of course, he owns more than one car because he's a businessman, but still.

And now that I have to think about the last two rides with him again, my hands are getting sweaty. I can't stand the silence and it puts pressure on me because then I usually say things and annoy him with it, but I can't help it.

"I don't know, are you even okay with this?" I ask.

"You don't really have another option, do you?" he shrugs.