Nineteen

Stumbling my way back to the venue after standing outside in shock for a good ten minutes, I don't know where to go. I notice that the room is now more crowded than before I stepped outside and everyone's laughter fills my ears.

My cheeks still feel warm and red, and although it might be a better idea to stand outside longer in the cooler air and wait for the blush to subside, I've come to realize that probably won't happen anyway.

As I think back to what happened a few minutes ago, I think I might be freaking out inside even more than I probably already am. I don't want to exaggerate, but this incident doesn't really seem like something I can underplay. I don't know what to think.

I clear my throat and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear before walking further into the room. Megan said she was going to the bar to see Lizzie so I consider that as well. Just standing around alone isn't the best solution for my confused mind right now.

With more people now filling the room than before, it's harder to push through the crowd, but I make my way through with apologies. No one seems to care as they continue their conversations. I keep my gaze transient because I'm anxious to face him.

I wonder where he is, but I push those thoughts far away from me because I don't want to conjure him up with my thoughts or anything. I don't know how I would handle it if he suddenly appeared in front of me.

Is he even still at the event or did he leave? I have so many questions floating around in my head and yet I can't seem to find an answer to any of them.

Am I paranoid and imagined everything that happened a few minutes ago? Was this a game of my mind? And yet this possibility seems unlikely because why in the world would my head play such a game on me? Nothing is making sense right now.

And the more time I spend thinking about it, the more desperate I become. The people around me seem to be coming towards me and I don't even know where the bar is because there are a lot of men standing in front of me.

I circle around them and the bar catches my eye, which is why I take a deep breath. I take quick steps in Megan's direction after spotting her sitting in the bar stools with Lizzie. They are laughing about something and I hope they can help me get rid of this weird feeling.

"Hi." I greet loudly. Maybe a little too loud, because Megan jumps and Lizzie clutches her chest. I didn't know my voice could boom so much over the music and laughter of others.

"Hey, where have you been?" Megan asks after she recovers.

The bartender replaces Lizzie's and Megan's empty glasses with new drinks. The beverage inside is clear, with only a slice of lemon, some mint, and ice cubes in it. He smiles at her and before Megan can reach for her glass, I beat her to it and take her glass instead.

I chug her drink in big gulps all at once and it's not until I've gulped down the entire drink that I realize it's not water. The burning sensation in my throat makes me cough and cringe, but I cover it up by smiling at my two friends.

"Woah, woah. Easy, woman." Megan's eyes widen after I set the empty glass back on the counter. "You'll be drunk in no time if you start like that."

"I was thirsty," I explain, setting my purse down on the counter as well. I look around and all the bar stools are taken. I'm too fidgety to sit still anyway.

"Did something happen?" Megan asks, eyeing me suspiciously. I'm an open book most of the time, so it's not hard for people around me to read when I'm acting differently than usual.