Seven

I wait at a corner of the lobby and observe how one by one the guests for the evening enter through the main entrance. I took the back entrance as soon as I saw some paparazzi standing outside because I didn't want to be photographed.

This event is not for the public and I don't understand why no one from the organization fixes this problem and I don't know where the paparazzi got the information about this event. But they seem to know everything anyway without anyone telling them.

I'm still waiting for Ms. Carlson, but she appears to be nowhere in sight. She sent me a message ten minutes ago saying that she will be five minutes late because apparently there is a bit of a traffic jam in front of the building due to the guests pouring into the street one by one.

I'm not sure if she will come in through the back entrance just like I did or if her cab will drop her off in front of the building. I had offered to pick her up yesterday and that might have been beneficial, but she declined.

Pushing back the sleeve of my suit jacket, I glance at my watch. I clear my throat and look around. The guests walking past me smile at me and I nod politely back. These are people I see all the time, people I've done business with in the past, or just people I run into at events like this.

I feel weird because it feels like everyone is looking at me strangely. After all, I'm just standing there like a statue. I don't know where to put my hands so I link them in front of my body.

"Jungkook, is that you?" I hear someone say somewhere behind me and when I turn around I find Mr. Bonneville and his wife walking in my direction. "It's been a year already."

"Mr. and Mrs. Bonneville, good evening."

He comes to stand in front of me, his wife hooking her arm in his. He extends his hand to me, which I take and shake. Then I take his wife's hand and place a small kiss on her knuckles to which she giggles flattered.

Mr. Bonneville puts his hand on my shoulder. "How are you, son?"

"I'm fine, sir. How are you?" I ask back. "And you Mrs. Bonneville?"

Mrs. Bonneville smiles and hugs the fur scarf around her shoulder closer while Mr. Bonneville tells me about his recent businesses. I've never worked with him before, but he keeps saying how eager he is to do so, which I appreciate.

He begins to tell me about his tour of Africa and Asia this summer and I listen intently. The Bonneville couple is one of the few who don't like to brag about their wealth even though he likes to talk about his travels. But I notice that for him it is not about the good hotels but much more about the time with his wife and the beautiful views.

We chat in the lobby because I tell them I'm still waiting for someone and Mr. Bonneville gets lost in the conversation. The two are already in their early sixties, but they still have a lot of joy in life. I try to understand how this is possible and I wish I could do the same.

I like that Mr. Bonneville never makes me uncomfortable in a conversation, and in fact, he's one of the only people in this event that I really like. He laughs and the corners of his eyes crinkle a lot because of his age.

I keep trying to crack a little laugh along with his jokes and I almost don't realize that we've been standing here together for another ten minutes. Glancing to my right, I see a person hurrying in our direction, but before I can make out who it is I've already looked away.

However, it only takes me a second to look back only to realize that the person is Ms. Carlson. She takes quick steps, her eyes set worriedly on me. Her dress floats with each step she takes.