Thirty-Eight

Mikayla

I smile to myself as I watch the coffee pour into my mug. That silly smile doesn't go away, especially in moments when I'm alone and thinking about all the memories that just make me happy.

It's already been two weeks since the weekend I stayed at Jungkook's house and all I can say is that those were the two best days we spent together. Despite everything that happened before that.

I'm just thankful that everything is settled between us now, even though I think we still have a long way to go to really know each other entirely. There are a lot of things I don't know about Jungkook, although I imagine it's not like that the other way around because I can't keep my mouth shut and I share unnecessary information about myself.

Which Jungkook seems to like, mind you.

It's ten a.m., a little later than I usually make my coffee, but I almost fell asleep in front of the computer. Only a few weeks are left until the new creative director will be announced and it makes me a little jittery inside because we will then know how the two groups will be split. I hope Megan is in my group.

The coffee maker stops steaming and I take the mug in my hand, the smell filling my nose. I take a big sip and hum to myself in delight. But I still think coffee smells better than it tastes.

Adding an extra spoonful of sugar to the coffee, which would probably be frowned upon because I'm adding it too late, I give it a stir and am now happy with the way it tastes. Work is calling me and that's why I turn to go back to my seat, but I stop in my steps when I see Jungkook enter the kitchen.

His mouth rises on one side into a lopsided smile that looks bumpy. It's untrained like he's tucked it away to show it for special moments only, but it's his interpretation of a smile. His way of saying he's happy to see me at this moment. And I can't help but flash him my warmest smile back.

"Hey," I say as he then stops in front of me.

"Hi." he breathes back, his eyes traveling down my body and back up again for a split second. "I was on my way to a meeting and saw you here as I was walking by."

"Coffee makes me fidgety, but I couldn't help but make one because otherwise I would have fallen asleep and not even an apocalypse would be able to wake me up." I laugh and he leans his elbow against the counter.

The material of the jacket around his arms strains with this position and I get a glimpse of his muscular upper arms. And his broad shoulders. Or the shirt that tightens across his chest. I clear my throat and contemplate my decision of wanting to drink a warm coffee. I should have gone with something cold.

"You didn't sleep well?" he asks, his eyebrows coming together as his eyes burn into mine.

"I did, but still." I wave him off, assuring him it's no big deal. "You know I'm probably related to koalas, judging by the amount of sleep I get."

A puff of air leaves his mouth, resembling a laugh. I wonder what it would sound like. When he genuinely laughs. Heartily. Without restraint or boundary.

He then pushes himself off the counter, looking down at my mug. "What are you drinking?"

"Oh, that's—"

Jungkook typically lets me finish even if it's just trash coming out of my mouth, but lately, his lips seem to love stopping me mid-word. But before it can go anywhere else, his lips are gone again and I'm left yearning.