Five

Mikayla

I finish my lunch and watch Megan pop the last of her noodles into her mouth. I haven't had much of an appetite today and considering I'm just quietly letting the abdominal pain torture me, I don't think I could eat much anyway.

"I was window shopping on Saturday and I saw such a beautiful dress," Megan says after swallowing the mouthful. "It was such a dream."

"Why didn't you buy it?" I ask, a small smile playing on my lips as I picture her standing in front of the store window, watching the dress with bright eyes.

"Nah. It was nice, but there's no occasion to wear it. It was pretty fancy. And you know me." she laughs, pointing to her current dress, which looks very comfortable but still office-appropriate.

"A nice dress is never bought for nothing," I say, my face twitching as a new round of cramps hits me.

Megan notices this while wiping the corners of her mouth with a tissue. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I forgot my pain pills, but it's not that bad," I reassure her and we both get up from our seats to take our trays back to their station.

Josh joins us, who has had lunch with other colleagues from his finance team, and together we take the elevator back up to the forty-second floor. Some are still down in the cafeteria, which explains the slight silence.

"I'll see you both tomorrow," Josh says, walking backward toward his seat. "I'll be leaving in an hour."

"See you!" both Megan and I wave at the same time, returning to our seats as well.

Since it's Monday, there's a lot to do again. I still have to finish writing the script for one client and call another one. Sometimes being a copywriter can get really stressful. Especially when you have colleagues constantly asking you for favors because something came up for them again and they can't get their ideas to you in time.

And on top of everything, I had to do more for Mr. Jeon last week than I had to before. Being his assistant or secretary or whatever is exhausting, but at least he always gives me specific instructions on how and when he wants something done.

It makes the job a lot easier, but I'm only human and there are only twenty-four hours in a day. It's been three weeks since he fired Tiffany - the reason for which I don't know and it may not be my business to know - and I still see applicants coming and going from his office.

I open my computer after falling into my chair and thank whoever picked out these comfortable chairs for our company. Especially with the cramps and back pain, it really feels good.

I continue to type away at my text file. This commercial is for a bag designer and two colleagues are working with me on the script for it. I take mental notes that when I get home I will pop a pain pill right away and put some in my purse too.

My phone rings and knowing it's Mr. Jeon, I straighten my back. "Yes, Mr. Jeon?" I answer, trying not to let any of the discomfort in my uterus show in my voice.

"Ethan Stan and I are going to have a meeting in half an hour. I want you to be there and take notes," he says.

"Oh. I didn't know about the meeting," I think out loud. "What room will it be in?"

"We set up the meeting on the fly. Room 7," he informs me and I tell him I'll be there, to which he hangs up.

I prepare my tablet that Mr. Jeon gave me on which I always take notes since it is easier to delete and paste things than on paper. I receive an email from him in which there are two files that he wants me to print out for the meeting.