Thirty-Nine

Megan and I are - once again - on our way to the conference room down the hall for another creative team meeting where we discuss our ongoing projects. It's the last meeting with all of our colleagues on the team because next week we're already being split into two after the new director is announced.

Everyone is kind of anxious about it because the new director could either be a blessing or a failure for our future projects, but I'm sure our CEOs will pick the right person for the job.

I considered sweet-talking and trying to get this information out of Jungkook, but ultimately didn't because I know he wouldn't tell me anyway, and besides, I didn't want to have the privilege of him being my boyfriend and knowing practically everything about the company. It didn't feel right to want to know earlier than everyone else.

Almost everyone is already in the conference room, leaving only the last two chairs empty, but they are not next to each other. Megan takes the seat on the other side of the long table and I open the PowerPoint slide show on my laptop that I prepared.

Lizzie begins to talk and we listen as she reports on an issue that has come up in an ongoing project. The client apparently changed their mind about the ad in the middle of execution and is now asking for a makeover, which is difficult considering the project was almost in the final stages.

However, it's not a project that affects many of us, so I'm using the time to make a few adjustments to my slides while discussions go back and forth. I still keep an ear on the conversation though, because the reason all members of the team join the meetings is so we can all stay up to date.

After Noah is done presenting his solution to the problem and Lizzie has accepted it, I run up front and plug my laptop into the projector. I show them the finished product of my work on the ad for the watch company, which needed some tweaks.

"So, did you change everything that Mr. Jeon brought up in the last meeting?" asks Lizzie, crossing one leg over the other as her eyes fix on the wall behind me.

"Yes, I adjusted the colors just like Jungk—" I pause, eyes wide. No, this can't be happening now. "—ook Jeon. Jungkook Jeon, Mr. Jeon, CEO of Jeon&Park!" I laugh nervously as I try to get out of the situation I've gotten myself into. "Seriously, the best company in the world."

When I'm done talking, there are tens of pairs of eyes staring at me and it makes me more nervous than ever. I think I did a good job of saving the day and I doubt anyone has become suspicious about it. I'm smooth as always.

But Megan doesn't seem to agree, because when I look over at her for confirmation that I'm not suspicious, she has a hand pressed against her forehead and is looking over at me between her fingers.

Anyway.

I clear my throat. "Well, I used the colors that make the watches pop best. I think Mr. Jeon will be okay with it, but I'll make sure to talk to him about it again after the meeting."

"That would be great." Lizzie nods and dismisses me back to my seat.

I slump back in my chair, wishing I had been more careful. Jungkook and I already had the conversation about the fact that we aren't dating in secret, but exposing our relationship like that in a meeting wouldn't have been the way we envisioned it.

You almost spilled the beans, you idiot I read on Megan's lips as our eyes meet.

You're being suspicious right now, you idiot I mouth before looking around the conference room to make sure no one catches our interaction.