Twenty-Eight

Mikayla

"You should still be careful, mom," I say into the phone as I continue to walk to the company with steady steps.

It's been a few weeks since my mom hurt herself and I know her ankle is better now, but I can't help but worry for her. I don't know if I could take it if something like that happened to her again.

I've called countless repair companies, but none of the handymen seem to have time to fix the stupid step at my parents' house. There are a few other small things that need to be considered as well, but either no one answers the phone or they keep telling me they have too many work orders.

My dad has tried umpteen times to convince my mom to let him do it himself since in his opinion it's not a big deal. The only problem is that after the accident my father was badly injured in his spine and since then he can't do heavy physical work.

Even if he has pain after moving a little too long or hard, he doesn't show any of it and yet my mother and I know he has it. He doesn't want us to worry, even if that means he suffers quietly in pain.

The accident took a lot from my parents and even after sixteen years it shows its effects. I am thankful that my parents are quite healthy despite everything, but part of my heart will be broken forever.

"Oh, you're the one to say that." she huffs, clearly annoyed with me, and I laugh. "You should be careful about your allergies. That could have ended badly."

"I know. But it didn't so you shouldn't worry." I reassure her. 

"I'm a mom, of course, I'll be worried." she counters.

I turn the corner and already see the Jeon&Park building. The weather today is beautiful and the first signs of spring can be seen. This part of the city is full of skyscrapers and honking cars, but still, nothing can take the spotlight away from the sun.

"Mom, I'm at work now," I announce and hear her humming. "I'll talk to you later, yeah?"

"Okay, honey. See you later." I hear her honey voice while she is clearly doing something in the background around the house. We hang up and I hurry the last few steps to the company.

After I get upstairs I get right to work. Today is Friday and I want to get everything done as quickly as possible so I can leave early. I feel better today, although my dizziness didn't seem to subside as quickly yesterday.

Megan drove me home and made sure to run me a soothing bath. My skin was red and itchy and although the medicine the doctor gave me helped well, the cool water did better.

I know I need to be more careful, but I think I was just too engrossed in conversation with my friends that I forgot to check for ingredients. Or maybe I was careless.

Either way, I'm glad it didn't turn out worse and I have to admit I forgot what it felt like to have an allergic reaction because I haven't had one in years.

My fingers stop on the keyboard as my thoughts drift back to yesterday and the way Mr. Jeon helped me the entire time. He looked genuinely concerned and although I'm embarrassed, it brings a smile to my face.

I know he didn't leave my side even for a second, even when the doctor asked him to leave. My fingers run over the back of my other hand, right over the spot where his was resting yesterday.

It was a feather-light touch and yet it managed to give me a tickling sensation. I could see the concern in his eyes even if I couldn't put a meaning to it. I mean, no CEO wants their employee to be miserable, but I can't help but feel more about it.