Six

I still feel bad about what happened yesterday. Mr. Jeon didn't show any signs of being annoyed and I didn't get a letter for my dismissal, but still.

And that's why I baked cookies last night. I tried to make them a little healthier recipe because I thought Mr. Jeon probably isn't much of a sweet tooth. He also doesn't like sugar in his coffee and who drinks coffee without sugar?

After I took painkillers, my cramps eased up a bit and although I went to bed tired, I was able to get a good night's sleep, which is why I feel healthier today.

I smile at everyone I pass and wish them a good morning. Megan is already in her seat typing on her computer with full concentration which is why she only gives me a half-wave that makes me chuckle.

I rush to the break room to get a plate from the cupboard for Megan and for Mr. Jeon so I can give them the cookies I made. But when I step into the room, a broad back is standing in front of the coffee machine.

My footsteps must have drawn his attention because he turns his head over his shoulder to see who has entered. Our eyes meet and I offer him a smile along with a good morning to which he nods.

His eyes look tired today as if he has gotten very little sleep. And judging that this is probably not his first cup of coffee, it must have been a rough night. He turns back to the coffee maker and watches the dark liquid drip into his cup.

Despite his tired eyes, his clothes and hair are neat as ever. I come to stand beside him so I can get two plates from the cupboard. I place the large box of cookies on the counter and reach my arm up, but whoever put the plates there apparently didn't want anyone shorter than six feet to reach them.

I struggle until I see another hand reaching in the same direction and when I look to my left, I find Mr. Jeon standing just a few inches next to me. He reaches for the plates and hands me one.

I thank him in a low voice and I feel like it would be a burden to tell him that I actually need two therefore Megan has to settle for eating from the box. Opening the lid, my nostrils fill with the smell of fresh cookies and I start placing the cookies on the plate one by one.

Mr. Jeon reaches for his now full coffee cup, pours a few drops of low-fat milk into it, and turns around, ready to leave the break room. I quickly place the fourth cookie on the plate and turn around.

"Mr. Jeon?" I call out, causing him to stop and turn back. I take a few steps toward him and stretch the cookies in his direction. "I made these last night. Please have some."

"What are these?" he asks, looking up at me from the plate.

"Cookies?" I almost laugh because it's obvious. I push aside the urge to say they're cookie-shaped drugs and smile at him. "I thought you could have them with your coffee because you don't put sugar in it."

He looks back at the plate. "I'm on a strict diet and I don't really like sweet things."

"That's why I made them with oatmeal, honey, and nuts," I say proudly, then realize how much it sounded like I made the cookies for him. Let's ignore the fact that I made them for him as an apology for yesterday.

I just don't want him to think I'm childishly still hung up on something like yesterday, which might be the case. I just don't like making people feel bad about themselves, although I'm sure Mr. Jeon is far from feeling bad about the things he says.

When he just stares at me without saying anything, I continue. "It's healthy. It'll help your concentration." I say, sliding the plate into his hand where the cup isn't.