Forty-Seven

Mikayla

"Does coffee also make you feel like you have to pee every half hour?" I ask Megan, sorting papers next to me so I can take them to Jimin later, who will confirm them.

"Not really," she replies absentmindedly, so she doesn't mess up the paperwork for each project. After packing up the last pile, she turns to me. "Maybe you should stop drinking so much. How many cups have you had? Four?"

"Three." I correct. "I know I should drink less, but it's the only thing that keeps me awake."

"Take it easy, sis." she puts a hand on my shoulder. "You're doing a good job, but you're not the only one working here. Try not to race after everything."

I sigh. "There's so much to do. But thanks for helping me with it."

She smiles, and that brings a smile to my lips, too. The last few weeks have been so busy that I've had to work an extra hour almost daily. It's not that bad because Jungkook has to work late too and we can drive to his house together.

Being a creative director is not as easy as I thought it would be before I took the job. I knew there were more responsibilities than anyone else on the creative team, but I didn't know it would be this much.

Still, I like what I do and if I thought I wasn't qualified for the job, I wouldn't have taken it in the first place. Every job comes with its difficulties and maybe it's just stressful right now because some of our colleagues are on vacation.

We are in the middle of September right now, just before the last quarter of the year and before the summer is over, it is completely understandable that so many wanted to take advantage and enjoy the last sunny days. I have vacation days left and I'm still figuring out how to spend them.

"I need to use the bathroom," I inform Megan and she nods.

I make my way to the bathroom and greet my colleagues who are having a quick conversation in the kitchen. Looking in the bathroom mirror, I notice the dark shadows under my eyes where my concealer has done a poor job of covering them up.

I shake my head and step into a toilet stall to do my business but before I get to it I hear someone enter the bathroom. I ignore it and start unzipping the side of my skirt.

Giggles ring out and bounce off the tiled walls. "Let me just touch up my makeup." says the person whose voice I can't directly pinpoint, but it sounds a lot like Lizzie.

"Me too." replies the other person. "Look at this lipstick I bought the other day."

"Oh, that's a beautiful color." the first person admires, and I know from the way she pronounces the words that it's undoubtedly Lizzie. "Can I try it?"

"Of course." the second person sings. It sounds like Vanessa from the finance team, but I'm not quite sure. "I'm not as stingy as other people."

Lizzie snorts. "Did I touch on a sensitive subject?"

"You know I love to share things, but there are people who don't seem to like that," Vanessa says. Why won't the stupid zipper on my skirt come undone? I've been standing here for minutes trying to get it open. "The other day I asked Mikayla about her lipstick because I liked it so much. Guess what she said?"

I stop moving when I hear my name.

"What did she say?"

"She mumbled the brand and said she'd check the color at home. She never did." Vanessa scoffs. "Why are you gatekeeping? If you don't want me to have the same one, why don't you say so, you know what I mean?"