Eighteen

Entering the venue, my mouth falls open in awe. Even though I had a bit of trouble getting in due to all the paparazzi at the entrance, I can say that the struggle was worth it because wow.

The foyer into the main room wasn't really amazing, but now that I take in the high ceilings, the dark but classic ambiance, a smile falls on my lips and I look around curiously. There is a stage along one wall and a screen behind it, which will probably be used to present the collection later.

I almost squeal when I spot a mountain of macarons in the middle of the grand space. They are colored in pastel colors, just like that one dress I liked the most. When I step closer, I even recognize the brand's name 'Moulin' engraved in the macarons.

Waiters and waitresses run across the room offering guests various drinks, but it's not rushed or stressful. Soft piano music plays in the background, but it's very light, so you almost can't tell through the sound of laughter and conversation.

As I look around, I realize that I know almost no one here, except for a few familiar faces I see in our company. They are colleagues I've never spoken to, other than the occasional hello in the morning when passing each other. Some of them never even bothered to respond, which is okay.

I admire all the pretty women in the room and the clothes they wear. One elderly woman is wearing a mid-length dark blue dress and I want to tell her how lovely the color goes with her silver-dyed hair, but I decide against it.

Loud laughter echoes in my ear from my right and I see a group of men in neat tuxedos and their wives on their arms talking. I wonder where Megan and Josh are because I haven't spotted them yet.

I pull my phone out of my purse and as I type into our group chat to ask where they are, someone appears in front of me.

"And I was wondering who this stunning woman could be when I saw her from across the room," he says and I tuck my phone away before I finish sending the message. "Of course, it would be you."

I smile up at him. "Mr. Stan, hi." I greet and he raises both eyebrows in disappointment. "Ethan." I correct, and he grins in satisfaction.

"Mikayla." he breathes, taking my hand and placing a small kiss on my knuckles. "You look breathtakingly gorgeous."

I blush a little and try to cover it up with a laugh. "Thank you," I say. "I didn't think I'd see you at the launch party."

"Does that mean you think my fashion sense is terrible?" he asks teasingly and I feel bad because that's not what I meant. He looks down at his attire and then back up at me.

"No, no. You look good." I compliment him. "Let's just say I wasn't expecting you to be here."

And I'm not telling him that to flatter him or to be nice. He looks really good in his tux. The bow tie at his neck sits perfectly and his blond hair is combed out of his face. The best thing he's wearing, though, is his unwavering smile. Wow, he has some nice teeth.

"I suppose it's a good surprise to see me then?" he suggests, arching a perfect eyebrow. Maybe once or twice his eyes drop to the dress I'm wearing.

I like how easy-going and entertaining his presence is. The last time I saw him was the day he and Mr. Jeon had the meeting. He made sure to always throw in jokes and lighten the otherwise stiff mood.

He is also nice. He came to talk to me, even though I know there are probably dozens of other people he could rather talk to. We haven't chatted that much before, so I appreciate it even more. Besides, I like talking to people.