Thirty-Seven

Jungkook

I jog down the stairs after I finish getting a couple of things done for work that I didn't get to on Friday because of my unexpected leaving. Mikayla, meanwhile, has been somewhere in the kitchen because I told her to make herself at home.

I felt bad for leaving her alone, but she didn't seem to mind. Work didn't last long anyway and it's my obligation that I can't neglect because I have responsibilities.

However, I would be lying if I said I didn't prefer to stay with her and just observe her in my home. For the first time in the last few years - maybe even in the entire time since I've been CEO - I've considered taking the day tomorrow off.

Sometimes I work from home on days when I don't feel like I can make it all the way to the company, but I really have never not worked. She makes me want to just sit back and listen to her talk.

Mikayla wanted to go home yesterday after we ate the breakfast she made, but I managed to convince her not to leave. I didn't want her to go home because first, I didn't know if that jerk Ethan would try something again, and second, I didn't want to be alone.

Normally I'm a person whose social battery is almost non-existent, but with her it's different. She can talk my ear off and I wouldn't say a word against it. It's not like she talks so much that I could be annoyed anyway. Just the occasional babble here and there. Just the Mikayla I've gotten to know.

I wasn't with anyone after Camille and I broke up and I have to admit it is weird having someone like that in my life again. Weird not in a bad way, but weird to wake up next to a presence, to feel their warmth in bed, to know that the sounds of breathing belong to another person.

Camille and my relationship never got to that point, though. Maybe we stayed together for that long because it was convenient for both of us. For her probably more than for me, because I'm not sure what exactly that relationship did for me.

Either way, what Mikayla brings to my life can't be compared to anything else I've had. I don't know if these thoughts are dangerous because it's unfamiliar and new to me, as I've never felt this comfortable before.

But everything disappears as I approach the kitchen and find Mikayla standing behind the counter. She is cutting vegetables into equal-sized pieces while music blasts from her phone. The sight is more than just a mere confirmation to me that the shot I gave my feelings isn't so bad and dangerous after all.

I lean with my shoulder against the pillar facing her and cross my arms in front of my chest. She looks focused as she cuts the onion and wipes away a tear that is flowing down before throwing the onion into the hot pan.

Bam sits at her feet watching her and I can't help but give free rein to this warm feeling in my chest. I love Bam and his well-being is very important to me. The fact that he loves Mikayla and is playful with her is a good sign. Maybe a little jealousy-inducing too.

But that's the thing about Mikayla. I don't know anyone who doesn't like her. It's almost impossible.

"'Cause every time we touch, I get this feeling." she starts to sing and I scrunch up my nose right when she hits a wrong note. "And every time we kiss, I swear I can fly."

I can't help but chuckle, realizing how invested she is in her thing that she's oblivious to my presence. She sets the knife on the counter and turns to the fridge to take something out. Mikayla turns back again with a graceful spin and sways to the jaunty rhythm of the song.