Fifteen

Closing the front door behind me, Bam immediately jumps on me. I love how the smallest things make him happy, so even at the faintest noise at the front door, he comes running over. Seeing him makes my day better.

"Hi, buddy." I greet him, kneeling after putting my briefcase down. I scratch him behind his ears and he tries to lick my face, which almost makes us both fall backward.

He barks twice in pleasure as his tongue hangs out and his tail wags and I get back to my feet. He follows close behind and we both make it to the kitchen where I prepare his last meal for the day.

Bam tries to put his paws on the counter so he can watch me prepare his meal, but I tell him to wait dutifully, which he obeys. He's cute and maybe he's still acting like he's a puppy, but we have rules in this house.

After I set Bam's food bowl next to his water bowl, he starts eating and I loosen the tie around my neck. Running my fingers through my hair, I cause it to mess up a bit, but it doesn't matter because I don't have anything important left to do for the day.

Camille told me in the office that she will come over to discuss the finer details of her project, which I find very unnecessary, but whatever. She should be here soon, considering it's almost 8 pm. Maybe I should cook myself something before she arrives.

I wash my hands and roll the sleeves of my dress shirt up to my elbows. Wearing something comfortable might be a good option, but I don't want Camille to get the wrong idea and think this evening is something casual. She comes over because we're going to talk business.

I empty some pasta from the package into the boiling water so it can be cooked, and meanwhile prepare the sauce for it. I mix tomato paste, heavy cream, and spices in a pan, then add some of the pasta water and let the sauce simmer.

After I drain the pasta and am about to pour it into the pan, the doorbell rings. Making sure I've turned off the stove so nothing burns, I run to the door, Bam following me excitedly.

"Hi, Jungko—" Camille is interrupted as Bam runs past me after I open the door because he loves visitors and she starts screaming. "Oh my god! What is this? Get that away from me!"

"Bam." I whistle and his ears stand up. "Sit."

He listens to my words while Camille hides behind me, clinging tightly to my shoulders. When I said she's overdramatic, this is exactly what I meant. I know she doesn't like dogs, but there's no need to act like Bam is about to eat her.

"Oh, thank God. I thought it was going to jump on me or chew my bag," she says, still holding onto my shoulders. "Jungkook, what are you waiting for? Take it away."

"Him." I correct. "And his name is Bam."

Bam looks up at me cutely when he catches his name and cocks his head to the side. I don't understand how people can talk about animals like that when they don't hurt you. I totally understand having a phobia, but what Camille is doing is not okay.

"Whatever. Why didn't you put him away? You knew I was coming?" she then asks and I can hear the irritated tone in her voice when I still don't take Bam away.

"Bam is not just a dog, he lives here with me. So please watch how you are talking about him," I say sternly, looking over my shoulder and she clears her throat.

"Okay, sorry. But can you take him to another room while I'm here?" she then asks and I nod.

"Bam, come on," I call and he obeys, walking beside me up the stairs.