Twenty-One

The fresh and roasted aroma of coffee beans fills my nostrils as I enter the coffee shop. I discovered this place a few months ago and it has since become my go-to when it comes to grabbing coffee outside of the kitchen at our company.

It almost feels like a luxury to breathe in the richness and I wish I could spend hours studying in a place like this with my friends as I did in my old college years.

Sometimes we don't realize the beauty of some moments until they are missed and it feels like nostalgia playing over and over in our minds.

Smiling, I move to the counter to place my order. It's still early, almost eight a.m. to be exact, but surprisingly, there aren't many customers around, so it probably won't be long before it's my turn.

I don't know why I decided to get my morning coffee at the store today for a change, but I guess I wanted to treat myself and Megan. She sent me a message half an hour ago, saying she was drowning in work and how it could be that so shortly after New Year's Eve there is so much stuff going on again.

I laughed at that, even though I know I'll probably be of the same fate soon, but it's okay. Having chosen my days off smartly has given me the advantage of recovering well despite of everything.

I don't think I've ever been under so much pressure in the five years I've worked for Jeon&Park. It wasn't just work that drained me emotionally, but other things as well. I don't want to sound like a crybaby, but that's just how I feel.

However, it doesn't bother me that much. If I wasn't happy with the company I work for or with my colleagues, I probably would have looked for other job offers. Besides, our company is one of the few that cares about its employees. You don't get that very often these days.

I stifle a yawn as I wait for my turn. New Year's Eve was a few days ago, and while I didn't party like a wild one, the change in my sleep schedule did affect me more than I would have thought.

I went out with Megan and some of her friends for a few drinks. We had a good time and fun conversations. Then I went to my parents' house to count back from ten with them and we made mac and cheese at two. I couldn't sleep until five, but it was definitely worth it.

"Hello, welcome to Espresso Yourself." A voice calls out and I snap out of my thoughts. "What can I get you?"

"Oh, good morning." I step closer to the counter and let my eyes roam over the menu, even though I already know it by heart and will still go for the same thing as always. "Can I have the Iced Americano and a caramel mocha latte, please?"

"Sure, anything else with that?" the barista asks with a smile on her lips. Another reason I love this coffee shop is that they have nice workers.

"No, that's all. But oh wait—can I have an extra pump of caramel?" I ask and she nods before typing it out on the screen in front of her. "I have a sweet tooth and I need that extra shot of sugar."

She smiles again and then turns to prepare my order. When she grinds the coffee beans, it gives me energy and I feel more awake. I ordered the Iced Americano for Megan, her favorite from this store, and I hope she will be happy when I get to the company.

I tap my foot against the parquet floor as I look around. The cakes on display behind the glass bar look so delicious, but I hold myself back. It really does look very cozy and comfortable in here, just the kind of place you want to be when it's raining outside.

While the coffee is being prepared, I pay for it. She finishes the order and I can see she's not just doing the job for the pay. "I like your hair, by the way." I compliment her and she thanks me nicely.