Forty-Six

I'm seated at the dining table, an exception today since I'm usually always in my office upstairs when I'm doing stuff for the company. The table is large and has enough space for all the sheets spread on it because I'm not alone right now.

Mikayla is sitting across from me, a pleasant silence reigning between us while only the sounds of the keyboard of my laptop and the pen sliding across the paper can be heard. We have been sitting here since lunch and I think we are making good progress in preparing things for Monday.

Mikayla looks focused, her lower lip poking out in a cute pout, and her hand that she's not writing with rests on the back of her neck, drawing little circles on her skin. I can't help but keep throwing a few fleeting glances in her direction, which she doesn't seem to notice.

I turn back to the screen and type a draft of an email I'll send on Monday. Mikayla lets out a contemplative noise, making me turn my eyes back to her, and I see her holding two sheets of paper in each of her hands, her eyes bouncing back and forth repeatedly.

"Can't decide?" I ask, noticing that she spends longer looking at them.

"Nope," she whispers without turning her eyes to me. "My brain is going to explode because of my indecisiveness."

"It's okay, take a break." I lower the papers to bring her attention to me. "You're not supposed to work on weekends anyway."

While our company needs precise and diligent workers, neither I nor Jimin have ever required our employees to work on weekends. It's their free time to spend with their family or friends, and we won't take that away.

"But it's important and it's not going to work itself out magically," she says, lifting the papers again, which makes me chuckle.

We return to our own bubbles of thoughts and ideas. I have always admired how hard-working and intelligent Mikayla is. I can't help but think it adds a hundredfold to her head-spinning attractiveness.

It's been almost a year since I got close to her. I can still remember like it was yesterday when I called her into my office after I fired my old secretary and left Mikayla no choice but to take her place for a short time.

Although she had no experience - and a lot on her plate as a copywriter herself - she did an excellent job of managing my meetings and doing all the other things I told her to do. And she didn't even complain about it. Maybe on the inside, but that doesn't matter.

I don't know why, but I had this weird feeling inside when I hired my new secretary Kiyara because I had started to get used to Mikayla's presence and the way she works. I had gotten used to seeing her face the first thing in the morning when she marched into my office to tell me the schedule for that day.

I think that from then on I started to actually see Mikayla as the person she is. I always keep a professional distance from my employees but hearing her get lost over and over again in the things she was telling me showed me what a pure soul she has.

I know she thought it was embarrassing to start babbling without meaning to, but I always found it innocent and not annoying at all, even though I don't really like it when people talk a lot. Listening to her always made me feel peaceful and calm.

Maybe it's just because it's her, because I've never had it with anyone else, but I can listen to her talk about the most random things for hours. It's the way her eyes light up, especially when it's something she loves.

Thinking about all this, my eyes wander back to her and an unspoken smile finds its way onto my lips. Her long hair is tied into a messy bun on the top of her head with a few strands falling out at the nape of her neck.