Eleven

I lie in my bed, facing the ceiling while my hands are resting on my stomach. I don't know how long I've been lying here, but long enough that it's getting boring and I get irritated because I can't fall asleep.

Sometimes I sincerely wonder if there is something wrong with me because I seem to be just the polar opposite of other people. I've been outside all day, playing dodgeball, getting massages, and in the evening I spent more than two hours in the pool.

And I still can't sleep?

I sigh and turn to my side, but immediately sigh and turn to the other side. My stomach starts growling too because I haven't had anything since dinner and finally I kick the covers off my body.

The bun on my head wobbles as I sit up and look around the dark room. My eyes fall to the phone on the table under the TV and I read one o'clock at night glowing in blue numbers.

I get up from the bed and I almost bump into the nightstand because I blackout for a second, but that happens to me a lot. I pull the robe I'd left by the chair over my shoulders and head for the door, having now remembered that the kitchen is open 24 hours.

So, maybe I can take advantage of that. A little snack or a cup of tea will help me fall asleep.

Closing the door quietly behind me because I don't want to wake anyone up at this hour, I tiptoe to the elevator. The air is definitely colder than it was a few hours ago, and I tie the front of my robe as I step into the elevator.

Once downstairs, I look around and am glad that at least the lights are on so I don't trip over my own feet. A worker walks past me, smiling kindly although her eyes look tired.

Should I have changed my clothes? I mean, there's no one here and the workers are probably used to seeing guests running around like a mess all the time, but still. I'm not going to spend much time here anyway.

I follow a sign that shows where the night kitchen is since it's a different and smaller one than for the other meals. There's a small room down the hall with a table in the middle displaying various snacks and drinks.

I come to stand in front of it and my eyes scan the entire table. I rest my elbows on the surface, the table reaches up to my chest and just before I'm about to reach for something, I notice a presence in my peripheral vision.

"Ahhhh!" I scream, holding onto the edge of the counter. Maybe a little over the top, but valid. I regain my composure. "Oh my god, Mr. Jeon. Why did you sneak up on me?"

He is standing in a corner of the room, his hips leaning against the other counter. In one hand he is holding a cup with what I assume is tea in it since the room doesn't smell like coffee and he probably wouldn't drink coffee at this hour. Or alcohol. His other hand is in the pocket of his pants as he looks at me.

"I was here when you came in," he says. "Did I scare you?"

I raise a hand to my chest to feel how fast my heart is beating. "I saw my life flash before my eyes."

I start laughing, taking my face in my hands and groaning into it. Of course, once again I've managed to completely embarrass myself in front of my boss. When I look back up at him, there's a soft look in his eyes. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but it looks like amusement.

I lower my gaze from him and let my eyes wander across the table again. I hear his footsteps and then feel him move to stand somewhere beside me. Far enough away to not be intrusive.