Eight

Mikayla

The ride is quiet and dark with only the street lights flashing past us and the faint sound of the engine as Mr. Jeon drives me home. I assured him that I had no problem taking a cab because I had driven here in one anyway, but he said it was fine with him.

So here I am, sitting in the softness of the leather seat with the seat heater under my butt. It's not too cold outside, October this year doesn't seem to want to transition into fall yet, but the dress I'm wearing still lets the occasional cool breeze cause goosebumps to form on my skin.

Maybe I should start saving up to get myself a car with heated seats, because whoever invented this, God bless them.

My eyes are getting heavier by the second, but it was a fun evening overall. I didn't think I could have fun at such a fancy event, and yet Mr. and Mrs. Bonneville entertained me very well. Or rather, I entertained them.

The food was very good, although I wish the portions had been a little larger and not just bite sizes, but that's okay. I didn't drink much - just a classic mojito because I love fruity and fresh cocktails.

Mr. Jeon didn't really talk much the whole evening, just a few answers here and there. I panicked inside when Mr. Bonneville tried to make us both dance, but oh my god would that have been embarrassing. He's my boss and I guess I can't just dance with him like I'm his date.

Luckily, Mr. Jeon was able to talk our way out of it, saying that he can't dance, which fits his weird character, because who can't dance? Anyway, I didn't really notice his presence next to me as I was engrossed in conversation. Except for his knee, which accidentally brushed against my thigh sometimes when he adjusted himself on his chair.

He seemed a little strange, excusing himself a few times so he could go to the bathroom, but other than that I don't think I did a bad job accompanying him. It could be that I talked too much, though.

I look at the cockpit of his car, the clock reading just a few minutes before midnight and the navigation system icon telling him to turn left at the next intersection. I gave him my address before we left so I wouldn't have to keep giving him directions on where to go.

The silence lulls me away and after the loud sounds of the evening buzz somewhere in the back of my mind, my eyelids start to fall. But I fight it because we will arrive at my apartment in less than ten minutes.

The slight movements are smooth as we drive over the asphalt and when I look at him for a brief moment I see the streetlights shining on his jaw. Sometimes I wonder what he is thinking because he doesn't really express his opinions verbally. Sometimes he stares thoughtlessly and I wonder if his thoughts are just as blank.

Since I saw him interacting with other people today, I wonder how he is with his friends. I see him communicating with Mr. Park, but that's it. But I push those thoughts away because it's not my business as an employee to think about his behavior with other people.

And I happen to remember that Megan's birthday is in a few days and I still haven't stopped to look for a gift for her. I'm not sure what to get her, but knowing her, she's going to scold me for getting her something anyway.

I can hear my name some distance away, but it keeps fading. A shiver runs down my spine and it feels like something cold is gnawing at my skin and I remember I have to call a specialist because the water in my apartment sometimes gets cold by itself while I'm in the shower.