Forty-Eight

"I got our wraps!" I cheer as I step out onto the porch, careful not to fall in the emerging darkness.

Jungkook and I didn't feel like cooking today, which is why we decided to order in. The sun has already set, but it's not completely pitch black yet, which would be hard anyway, considering that today the stars and the moon are in full view.

I see that Jungkook has lit a few candles and set my favorite iced tea from the refrigerator out on the table. His outdoor furniture is great for snuggling on, but it's also great for eating. So it's kind of like two in one.

The reason why we have our dinner so late is that we just got home half an hour ago as the meetings didn't seem to stop. Jungkook was done later than I, which is why I was already working ahead for tomorrow in the time I was waiting for him.

"I think the delivery guy packed us a few extra cookies." I smile as I open the paper bag and spread the contents on the table.

"We always order the same ones with chocolate chips, so I'm sure he knows we like them by now. Or rather you do." he teases, holding me by the waist as I walk past him to sit down on the outdoor sofa.

"Are you keeping count of the amount of chocolate chip cookies I eat?" I scowl at him playfully and he laughs, shaking his head and moving the cookies to my side because he never eats them.

He says if he's going to cheat by eating something sweet, it should at least be something I baked. Or just me. His words, not mine.

"You'd probably skin me alive, so no," he says matter of factly, so serious I almost think he means it. I wouldn't. I might, though, when I'm on my period.

We remove the paper wrapper from our wraps and make ourselves comfortable on the sofa. I think Bam is already asleep in his dog house because I know if he wasn't he would be sitting with us because of the smell, with his puppy eyes asking us if he can have some.

We devour the wraps because my belly was about to digest itself. I haven't had anything but a cup of tea since lunch with Megan at the office. It's kind of stressful not to check everything with Lizzie now, leading to me having to figure most things out myself or ask Jungkook.

Megan was fuming when she made me tell her why I didn't want to discuss a project with Lizzie over lunch. I mean, yes it's a bit unprofessional and childish to hold grudges, and maybe I should have put our personal issues aside, but it's hard.

Knowing how Lizzie feels about me, how maybe even some others in the company feel about me that I know nothing about, is hurtful and not something I can just ignore without reflecting.

Her words still echo in my head whenever we cross paths and even when she smiles at me, I know it's not sincere. It's fake and I actually think it's a shame that she doesn't have the guts to show me her true feelings.

I wouldn't even be upset with her for it because we don't have to like everyone. There are preferences everyone has in what kind of person they want in their life and if I don't meet those expectations of Lizzie, it's okay.

To say that I barely could hold Megan back from going off on Lizzie at any moment would be an understatement. I didn't want to tell her, but I felt compelled to because I have no way of knowing if Lizzie's feelings are the same toward Megan.

I had to protect my friend from a false friendship, and there was no other way to do that than to tell her what I overheard in the bathroom. Maybe Lizzie will realize it soon, but I couldn't care less about her knowing.