EIGHT

Areum checked herself in the mirror, fixing her makeup for the last time before she gets called. She saw Yoongi get panicked by a phone call, leaving the room.
'What's wrong with him?' her curiosity led her to the door, as she tried listening to his conversation.
"If you're doubting it so much, come and see it for yourself." he huffed switching off his phone and turning back. Areum ran to her seat, acting like nothing happened. When Yoongi returned, signs of discomfort was all over his face. Areum raised her eyebrows in concern to which he smiled shaking his head.
"You good?" Yoongi asked diverting the attention from him. "Not really..." She chuckled nervously as Yoongi inched closer to her.

"Remember when you came to meet me at the terrace in your first year?" Yoongi asked with a smile plastered. Areum nodded, remembering the embarassing moment. "Well, it wasn't an assignment. I did write those lines knowing you'd read them and meet me." He giggled like a school boy. Areum glared at him.

"I wanted to know you, and it was really funny to see you all flustered." Areum blushed, "well why did you deny it then?" He smiled earnestly,and whispered, "Because I was a fool....for you." They smiled at each other, the proximity almost invisible when someone knocked at the door. Areum pushed Yoongi away and stood upright fixing her hair.

"Areum, I want you to meet someone." Min Hee entered unaware of their weird stances. Areum tilted her head in confusion when Min Hee turned around to invite someone in.
"Aigoo, where's my idol baby? Oh there she is..." Areum's Mother entered cheerfully, followed by the rest of the group. "Omma!" She ran to her mother's arms and bursted into tears. "You made it! I still can't believe you're actually here..." Areum sniffled. Her mother wiped her tears, carefully not ruining the makeup and said, "How could I not watch my child perform? I took the first flight available and came..." She smiled dearly at Areum. "That must've cost you a fortune!" Areum asked, in tears. "Shush! All my extra shifts paid off..." She smiled tucking her hair. "Now, are you ready? I heard you had to change your performance? You're okay with the new routine?" Her mother enquired her. Areum explained Hoseok's situation as everyone started having random conversations.

Yoongi watched everyone from a distance, happy that Areum is no more nervous.  "Yah, come here. Why is my son in law standing so far from me?" Her mother joked, waving at Yoongi to come closer. Jimin and Taehyung looked at each other shocked, Namjoon chocked on air, Hoseok and Jin smiled awkwardly, and Min hee was stunned to see Yoongi laughing and walking towards her. "Eommonim, how have you been?" He asked politely. Min hee was jealous to see him get closer to Areum's Mother. She pushed him, before Areum's Mother could reply, and asked,"Would you like to have something, Eemo (aunt)?"
Yoongi smirked knowing what she was doing and pushed her back asking, "You're not working yourself out right with extra shifts? Areum is fine here, so please take care of yourself,Eommonim!" He said with concern, before turning to Min hee and poking his tongue out.

Min Hee and Yoongi kept pushing and bickering over superiority, not giving Areum's Mother any chance to answer. She turned to Areum who was watching the duo, thinking how she ended up with such deranged humans. "They act like they just got out of the zoo most of the times... I'm sorry you had to see this." Areum apologized for the bizzare behavior to which her mother laughed. "Don't worry, I understand given they're your friends!" She replied making the boys laugh at her comment. Is she really my mother? Areum sighed.

They chatted for a little longer before her mother left to give her some time prior to her performance.

"You know, this is my first performance in Korea!" Yoongi said looking at Areum. "What about your graduation?" She asked. "It was in USA. You're my first, in Korea." Areum blushed,"Are you ready?" 
Yoongi smiled at her. She nodded and was about to leave when Yoongi pulled her in for a quick kiss. "Now I'm ready!" He smiled slyly.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.

The arena was bigger than anywhere she had performed previously. Her anxiety kicking in as she looked at the audience cheering for them. Yoongi took a seat in front of the piano, opening the keyboard case and wiping the keys with a handkerchief, gifted by Areum. Areum looked at him, as he smiled at her mouthing 'I love you', making all her nervousness vanish into thin air. She grabbed the mic as the music flowed.

Their first song was YOURS by Chaneyol sunbaenim. Yoongi started singing,
Ipsure garyeojin (Hidden behind the lips)
nunbiche soksagim(Whispers of the gaze)
I’ll be yours,
I’ll be yours.
Yoongi's Rap was smoother than butter, swayying everyone. "That's my US returned friend, everyone!" Hoseok screamed making everyone laugh. Areum took over, the piano and her voice melting together.

da eodume gachin geotcheoreom(As if I was locked up in darkness),

du nuneul gamgoseo(I close my eyes),

bul kkeojin gamjeonge chwihae(And get absorbed in my emotions under darkness)

naneun neoreul ireoga(I keep losing you).

The transitions from Yoongi to Areum's voice and vice versa left the judges astonished.
During the chorus, Yoongi stood up and approached Areum, singing harmoniously. The way they looked at each other and sang with a smile made them look like a true performer. Looking at Yoongi rapping made Areum fall harder for him, smile never leaving her face. They ended the song showing a finger heart to the audience.

They bowed and prepared to sing their next song Eight. This song was special for Areum. She smiled at Yoongi as a sign to start, and the music cued.

So are you happy now?
Finally happy now, are you?

She swayed with the music, dancing softly as the music guided her body, hitting the right notes. Yoongi walked up to her and smiled when it was almost his part, patting her shoulder nodding as if saying "you can do this, show them your hidden talent." He backed off slowly, Areum looked at him with wide eyed. Realising he wasn't joking, but she couldn't waste time as it would ruin the performance thus deciding to continue with the Rap.

Seom geurae yeogin seom (Island, yeah, this is an island),

seoroga mandeun jageun seom(a small island we made together)

Ye eum forever young...

Her rap left everyone's jaw hanging. No one expected her to rap this perfectly. The guys were cheering proudly, "that's my girl!" Jin screamed. Min Hee held onto Namjoon's hand smiling. Jungkook whispered something cute to Jimin, which made Taehyung gag as he eavesdropped, "Guys, don't make me feel single anymore than I already do."

The crowd was going wild as Areum concluded her song with an extraordinary high note. Yoongi smiled wide looking at his girl, then turned to see the audience. He smirked and raised his eyebrows to the guy in the last row.

The guy sat with a passive expression as he stared at Yoongi, the corners of his lips turning. When the performance ended, he got up fixing his expensive Booralro suit and picked up his popcorn box and threw it in the air screaming "Bravo! Bravo!"

The entire arena turned to see the bizarre situation as the man kept clapping. Areum found it weird but shrugged it off and bowed. Soon the arena was surrounded by loud cheer.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Wahhh finally we're graduated!" Jungkook squealed. The group was eating Jjajangmyeon at Jin's house. They laughed and reminisced all the moments they shared together in college. Everyone but Yoongi. He was zoned out. Areum noticed and was thinking of asking when Namjoon voiced her thoughts. "Is something bothering you hyung?" He asked Yoongi with concern. "Huh? Oh um yeah. I mean no... I have to tell you....rather ask something." Yoongi replied looking at Areum before blinking his eyes away. He clasped his hands taking a deep sigh. "I have a proposal for you, and I hope you say yes!" He said staring straight at Areum.

Areum squirmed when something dawned on her suddenly.
Is he proposing me? Already!! But it's too soon, I just graduated. Am I ready?