chapter thirteen

Adena didn't have classes for the rest of the afternoon, just like most of her classmates. She still had to work on her Ancient Runes essay. Two rolls due for the next Wednesday and she was barely starting. She only had some hours left before meeting up with Regulus to catch up her missed lesson of Arithmancy, so she had to focus, quickly. It took her a long time to dig into it, but after a while of trying to understand, she finally started writing. After two hours, the clock stroke four which meant she had to leave, fast. Putting back her stuff in her school bag, she started running towards the exit and to the library. And Regulus had told her not to be late, she thought.

She arrived at the library panting, after some minutes. She roamed through the tables and bookshelves, looking for the raven-haired male, until spotting him at the back of the room, looking at a book he must have taken while waiting.

"Sorry, I'm late," only said the young Ravenclaw, before seating herself on the chair in front of him.

"It's okay, you're forgiven for this time." He looked calm, much calmer than earlier. The same thought crossed Regulus' mind when he glanced up at her.

He slid his Arithmancy textbook towards her as she started taking out her own, a quill and some ink from her bag.

"I'll be reading now. Don't hesitate to interrupt me if you have any questions." She nodded looking at his notes, noticing the same neat and elegant handwriting that was used for the letter she got a few days ago, making her smile.

Adena was focused and writing quietly. Every time Regulus would look up from the book he was currently reading, checking up on her, he would notice small details. First, he remarked she was left-handed. The second time, he watched as she was reading his notes on the other pages, the ones from the weeks before. It was inquiring but he didn't mind, returning back to his reading. The next time he looked up, he actually let his grey orbs fix her for a while. She was frowning, her eyes stuck on the same words. Maybe she was struggling, he thought, but why wasn't she saying anything.

He didn't wait for her to do so as he spoke up, "Do you need help with something?"

Her eyes finally moved up for the first time in a while.

"Hm yeah, I think so," she answered quietly.

"Why didn't you say anything then," he was refraining himself from smirking at her, as she frowned again, averting her eyes from his. To him, Adena Winsten looked like a stubborn child right now. Her reaction made the Slytherin boy chuckle lightly as he had a smug look on his face.

"Stop mocking me!" she groaned.

The smug grin didn't leave him as he got up and reached her right side with a few steps. He bent over to her height, just above her shoulder. She unconsciously cocked her head towards him, surprised that their faces were so close. His eyes were looking at the textbook and she did the same after a second.

"Where's your problem?"

She pointed at the specific part that he started reading. For the next minutes he stayed there, at her side, explaining her with the right words. She was listening quietly, even more focused than in her daily classes. Regulus sounded somehow less boring.

"And that's how you find this number. Got it?" he asked turning his gaze to her face.

She did the same, looking at his grey irises, noticing their beauty for the first time from this close. She just nodded while breathing out a small, "Yeah, thanks Black."

He nodded in response before straightening up and going back to his seat. She went instantly back to her work, continuing to write. However, she had to stop after a few minutes when her sister barged at her side, looking almost angry while holding a piece of parchment in her hand. She looked at her for a moment before starting to write again.

"Here you are! I've been looking for you. You forgot to write back to Mum and now she's mad at me!" Adena cursed under her breath, realizing she had in fact forgotten. "Wait- what are you two doing here?" she asked suspiciously while arching up a brow.

"Have you ever heard of studying," came the sassy reply of Adena even though her voice was plain and she wasn't looking at her sister. These words almost made the Slytherin snort but he just hid his grin behind his book instead.

"You brat- just write back to Mum after your sTuDyiNg." And with that, the blonde tornado went back to where she came.

"That's not nice for your mother," slightly chuckled Regulus, making Adena roll her eyes at his words.

"Writing a letter to her isn't just one of my priority. I'm even surprised she got time to write Candace two letters in a row."

He hummed as she went back to work.

After another hour or so, they were one of the last people remaining in the library as everyone had left to eat dinner. Adena had just finished writing everything, her wrist now being in slight pain. The young girl looked at the male in front of her who was reading.

"I finished. Dinner has already started we should go."

He stopped reading and closed the book. He nodded at her before standing up to put back the book on the shelve as she put away her stuff. When she was ready, she got up and noticed Regulus waiting for her a few meters away. Adena walked to his side and he started walking as well. The two teens headed quickly to the Great Hall. The loud chatters could already be heard in the closest hallways. As they arrived in front of the room Adena stopped, turning towards Regulus as he stopped as well.

"Thank you for today Black, you really saved me, I didn't know anyone taking this class."

"It was nothing. I would want someone to help me if I were in your case. Well I personally wouldn't even catch up." These last words made the brunette chuckle slightly.

"Thank you anyway. See you tomorrow Black," she waved with a small, sweet smile, an unfamiliar sight on the young girl's face.

She directed herself to the Ravenclaw table and he went to the Slytherin table, both joining their housemates. But the two teens were unaware of several pairs of eyes fixed on them, coming from the Gryffindor table.

When Adena sat next to her comrades, everyone noticed with slight shock the smile drawn on her lips.

"You're smiling... weirdly," murmured Jacob. She glared at him, her smile disappearing quickly.

"No, I am not."

"You were."

"Was Regulus Black's studying session that enjoyable?" said Eugenia's teasing voice, making the others' eyes go wide.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm actually happy we're having pudding for dessert."