chapter eighty eight

The holidays continued calmly for Adena. Her days consisted of doing her homework which was really boring. Her sister was also studying hard the whole time, making her more impressed as well. One day, by the end of the holidays however, Candace came into Adena's room to have a chat.

"Do you remember what I said about your boyfriend?" was her first question.

"You've said plenty of things," replied the brunette.

"I said, I know what he is. Sirius told me he might be one of them by now. Adena, is this true?" she was glaring at her as she spoke, anger building in her.

The young girl didn't know what to say and chose to remain quiet.

"You knew all along, right? You know he's a fucking Death Eater and from the beginning, uh?" she started screaming but the brunette didn't flinch.

"You really disgust me Adena. I didn't know you'd go this far with someone like him."

"I don't care... I don't care anymore... Let me live my life like I want to," spat the girl at her older sister.

"I won't interfere. It's too late. Either you see the wrong yourself or either you stay in the wrong."

That was the last time they spoke for the whole holidays.

Her words had struck her, that was the only thing on her mind, she had even forgotten about Regulus picking her up for the year's end party organized by his family.

"Adena, you aren't ready?" said his voice as he entered the girl's room. She was in her night gown, sitting at her desk and finishing some essay.

"Regulus... I forgot... wait I'll be right back!" she exclaimed as she got up, rushing to her closet to choose an elegant dress for the night, and as she was about to run out the door, she still took time to kiss her boyfriend she hadn't seen in days.

She got out after some minutes and quickly came back to Regulus who was looking at the only picture of them together placed on her wall.

"I'm sorry, we're not late, right?" she asked nervously.

"Don't worry," he told her, reaching her side, then gently wrapping one arm around her waist and the girl didn't resist snuggling close to him until her face was against his strong chest. She didn't care about getting late anymore, she only needed some time in her boyfriend's arms. 

Before she knew it, they apparated in a snowy garden in front of a huge mansion.

"It's cold..." muttered the girl as she felt goosebumps all over her skin.

"Let's get inside then. This is my grandparents' house by the way, I believe you remember them."

"You've got too many family members..." answered Adena as they reached the door while he chuckled.

When they entered, they were welcomed by the warmth of the place as well as loud chatters coming from a room not too far away from the entrance hall. Regulus led her as she looked around the house, thinking it was very sophisticated and well decorated.

"Here we are." They had reached the large room, resembling a ballroom, where many wizards and witches were discussing together. "Let's greet them now." She nodded and followed Regulus around, going to greet people she sometimes remembered the names or faces, or sometimes couldn't point out their identity at all which she covered well. However, everyone seemed to remember her rather well. Meeting again with Walburga Black was not the best moment of the night but she acted polite, nonetheless.

"Here you are. You were late, weren't you?" asked a high-pitched voice behind them.

When they turned around, the couple was met with Regulus' cousin, Bellatrix which still had that sadist grin on her pale, ghostly face.