chapter thirty nine

The next day, Adena woke up earlier than usual. For once, she had to prepare up to go out. After having a shower, she decided to wear a pink dress with gingham patterns that obviously used to be her sister's. After that, the young girl tied her hair with Regulus' hairclip, placing it on the side of her head, with no hair gliding down her face anymore. It looked good. And when she was ready, she got down to eat something.

At five to two, the two sisters were together in the hall, getting ready to leave.

"Candace, can we Apparate at the Leaky Cauldron, please?" quickly asked Adena before her sister could take a hold of her arm.

"Okay, let's go." And then the both of them Apparated into the busy pub.

"Thanks," said the girl before heading towards the exit.

"Wait. Let's meet here at five, 'kay?"

"Okay, I'll be there. Bye!" And she left the pub hastily.

The streets of London were really busy. So many people were walking there and Adena looked from right to left, expecting to see a pair of grey eyes and his beautiful haughty face framed by raven curls. After some minutes, she started feeling nervous. She was all alone, surrounded by a crowd of Muggles, pushing her from all sides. She couldn't see Regulus, anywhere. What if he chose to not come or couldn't even come. The Muggles walking past her looked at her weirdly as she stayed on the pavement, unmoving. But then suddenly, she heard a voice calling out her name.

"Winsten! I'm here." And when she looked up, she saw Regulus' face among all the Muggles. He looked annoyed but this was expected. Adena walked fast, pushing people out of her way, not caring just one bit, until reaching the boy. The girl stayed close to his chest as he enveloped an arm around her shoulders, and he murmured, "Let's get out of here." 

They started walking, him leading the way to the Leaky Cauldron. Once inside, he let go of the petite girl, and she took a step back.

"I hate Muggle London," hissed the boy in an irritated voice. "You didn't wait too much right? I'm sorry you had to stay out there, there were so many of them." His tone of voice had changed, and he was now looking down at her.

"No, I mean just a little, but it's not your fault." She gave him a small smile, not being able to hide her happiness. But suddenly she frowned. "Did you get taller?"

"I don't know. Last time I checked I was 5'6ft tall."

"You definitely got taller, at least by one inch, even two," she laughed.

"But you got taller too, look." He got closer to her, close enough until his chin touched her forehead and his breathe could caress her hair when he spoke. "Before I could just touch the top of your head, which means you got taller."

"I didn't notice," said the girl, looking up at him, not minding the distance between them. "Oh, your hair got longer too." Her small hand reached out to take a hold of one of his raven curl that was almost touching his shoulder. It was so smooth; she hadn't expected that.

"Yeah, but I don't think it looks good."

"You look like your brother..." murmured the girl and he clearly heard her.

"I'll cut it then."

"Not too much! I think your long hair isn't that bad. I mean the length before..." Her eyes dropped to the floor, feeling suddenly embarrassed about what she had just said.

"Okay, I'll cut it, just a little. Now, let's go," he softly replied. He took a hold of her again, leading her through the crowded place so they could use the fireplace to go to Diagon Alley since none of them was allowed to use magic to get through the passage.