chapter eighty six

The shy winter sun was already up when Adena and Regulus awoke. But they were not moving and were instead enjoying each other's warmth under the blanket. The boy's face was nuzzled into her messy brown curls, smelling the light strawberry scent from her shampoo he loved so much and sighing in contentment. His breath was tickling her bare skin, making her smile. She loved that moment. The only thing breaking the soft atmosphere was the little grumbles coming from her stomach. The brunette tried to escape her boyfriend's hold, but his arms brought her back to him.

"What are you doing?" he said with a curious tone.

She turned around to face him, showing a little smile. "I'm hungry."

"And so?"

She sighed, feeling annoyed. "And I want to eat."

"But we're having such a good moment..."

"I know," she said, resigned, as she caressed the skin of his chest, before letting her hands glided up to his neck, face, and hair. She loved showing all her affection. Regulus gave her lips a light kiss before looking back at her. After a while, a sudden question popped up in her mind.

"Regulus, what do you want for you birthday?"

"This," came his instant reply. His gaze was still fixed on her, making her confused.

"This?"

"Yeah... I wanna spend a moment in your arms, like we did last night," he murmured softly, a fond look in his eyes as his hand brushed against the skin of her back.

Adena could feel her cheeks turn a light pink, unconsciously she hid her face in his chest.

"If you want... but I was referring to a real present," she mumbled.

"Oh... I don't know."

"Think of something you'd want."

"Then. You. A photo of you," he quickly answered, surprising the girl who lifted her head to meet his gaze. She noticed his own was directed towards the wall behind her, where was pinned the unique photo of them together.

"What? Why?"

"I love you and I'd love to have that."

"That's weird."

"That's what I want," his voice sounded determined as he replied.

"But... I can't just give you a photo of me..."

"Yes, you can. In a locket it would look good, so I can always have you with me."

She stared at him strangely, still surprised by his sudden wish. But then she shrugged and smiled at him.

"Fine. I'll find the best photo of me. I don't even know if I have one good enough."

Regulus frowned at her words. "What are you talking about? Any photo will please me."

"But I mean, I have to find a photo where I look good so... "

"Yeah, and I bet you look good on any photo," he told her seriously.

"Erm...  you know I'm not too fond of my looks," she muttered.

"Adena. I don't know why you'd say such things. I find you so beautiful," he said as he caressed her face tenderly.

"I know there are much uglier girls out there, but I don't look that good. I'm pale and skinny. I even look sick in summer but no it's just my usual self," she laughed a little as she said that.

"And? That makes you pretty for me. And just to mention, you've put on some weight. You're not as skinny as you used to be."

"Oh? I didn't notice but maybe," she answered surprised.