chapter eighteen

The following days were pretty much the same for Adena. The new changes in her life – patrolling with Regulus Black and sitting with him in class – were becoming habits. However, her sister hadn't talked to her since the last time they argued. Adena was growing worried as the winter break was quickly approaching. She really hoped Candace would make a move, the Ravenclaw didn't feel like doing so. Maybe Candace was actually waiting for her to do so.

One week before the last day of class, some people, including Adena and Eugenia received a letter from Professor Slughorn, inviting them to his usual Christmas dinner in advance, the day before the holidays. The girls weren't too happy about the news but didn't refuse the invitation, nonetheless. They had got it just before visiting Hogsmeade for the last time of the year.

Everyone was pretty much excited about visiting the village during Christmas, whether they had already experienced that or not.

"Hey, hey, hey, Adena! You didn't forget your money right! You have to treat me to some sweets!" Jacob had been pestering the poor girl for the past week, either looking all innocent or having a smug look on his face, either way annoying the girl. She was getting fed up but remained calm, nonetheless.

"How could I, you've been literally saying the same thing for the thousandth time." And these were the hints telling Jacob he had succeeded in making the girl irritated. He was proud.

"I'm asking just in case..."

The brunette had regretted more than once agreeing to this.

The cold of December had settled in Hogwarts and snow had started to fall that morning. Everyone was engulfed in beanies, scarfs and winter coats, but the wind was still wincing. Even though they wanted to admire the decorated streets of the village, the Ravenclaws did not waste time to go warm themselves up in Honeydukes. As the girls were munching on caramels Jade had just bought, the boys were wandering in the aisles of the shop, putting in anything they wanted in a bag that Adena had to pay in the end. She glared at them from afar, continuing on munching on a sticky caramel. When they finished, they went to the seller. Then Jacob turned towards Adena, watching her with his innocent smile.

"Ooh, Adena sweetie, here's my order!"

She glared harder at him as she slowly approached the counter.

"How much?" her stern, cold voice said. She felt sorry for that poor employee.

"It'll be five galleons, Miss..."

She dropped the coins on the counter before leaving the boys, Jacob having a satisfied look on his face. They followed behind her, joining the girls, holding on their laughter and earning a glare from the brunette as well.

"Thanks for that! And for my butterbe-"

"You ruined me, you jerk."

"Oh well I guess..."

"I'll pay for today guys," said Isaac with a sigh.

"Aw thanks buddy."

With that, the group headed to the Three broomsticks for a butterbeer. Like he said before, Isaac paid for everything. He was well-off, and received a lot of money from his family, unlike Adena who only received a small amount every few weeks, so she could 'make use of it wisely', like her mother had said several times. They all enjoyed their butterbeers, discussing happily, laughing from time to time to Jacob's jokes.

That night, Adena still had to patrol with Regulus Black before her day would finally be over. They were now meeting four times a week for patrolling and also having all these classes where they would sit together. Adena wouldn't say they were any closer than before, but they definitely grew more comfortable around each other. Especially the young Ravenclaw. He has been of great help for the patrolling sessions. Maybe he hadn't realized that, but Adena knew she felt safer in his presence than in any other's. She couldn't explain why, but the fact that he was one of the best students, meaning a strong dueler, was very persuasive.