chapter thirty four

As the exams were coming closer, Regulus would ask more and more about Adena's condition. Always denying he cared about her, but she could hardly trust his words anymore and he knew it.

One night, as she expressed her concern about him asking too many questions and showing too much care in her opinion, the Slytherin boy unexpectedly whispered, "Sorry for caring too much."

The brunette just looked at him with wide eyes, but he wouldn't return her gaze. Regulus was a secretive boy she had noticed during the last months of getting to know him. Just like herself in a way, except he made her open up. But he would rarely express his own feelings, that was why it was such a surprise for the young girl.

And so, feeling suddenly guilty she answered softly but sadly at the same time, "Sorry for rejecting your care."

He stopped, and finally looked at her. Adena stopped as well, looking up at him. Their faces were barely showing any emotion. However, their eyes were telling everything. For brief seconds, they opened their hearts to each other and their pupils mirrored their emotions. Her usually warm hazel eyes looked somehow saddened and his grey ones showed a glint of surprise. They just stared into each other's eyes for a while, not knowing what to say.

After some time, Regulus' hand grabbed Adena's and without thinking she said, almost inaudibly, "Let's go back."

He nodded and turned around, tugging on her hand so she would follow him. They stayed in silence on the way back. Adena couldn't help but feel touched by his words. And when they arrived, she didn't want to let go of his hand, not yet. So, she just stayed immobile in front of the entrance of her common room, tightly holding onto Regulus' hand, her eyes fixed on the floor and his on her figure. But she eventually had to let him go, so much warmth and comfort leaving her at the same time.

"See you tomorrow."

"Yeah good night, Black."

At breakfast the next day, Adena ate rather quickly. She just wanted to arrive in Potions class early.

"Why such in a hurry Adena. You'll choke on that toast and I'll have to give you a kiss of life."

Adena stopped every movement, and then slowly lifted her eyes to glare at Jacob. "You want me throw up on you?"

He looked at her, disgusted, and then replied, "Eww I was joking you know."

"And I wasn't."

After that, she just smiled a little. Jacob always knew how to relax the tension and it pleased the others as well. After finishing, the brunette just made her way out of the Hall, heading straight to Slughorn's class. She knew there were only some minutes left before the beginning, but she just wished she could be with Regulus.

When she entered the room, it was no surprise when she remarked only a few students already there and obviously heads in their books.

She sat down at her usual seat.

"You're early," said a velvet-like voice behind her, making her jolt up slightly. She turned towards Regulus when he sat down beside her.

"Yes, I didn't really want to stay in the Great Hall."

"I guess so. I saw you leave. You took time to eat well anyway?"

She paused for a moment thinking about his words then replied, "Yeah don't worry."

He nodded then started grabbing his stuff out. That small discussion was enough to please Adena.

Soon after, the classroom became full of people. The teacher was there as well. Today was a theory lesson, the most boring but it was necessary since O.W.Ls were approaching. Adena didn't even take time to chat with Regulus as she was focused on Slughorn's words.