chapter seventeen

When the class ended, everyone was in a light mood as it was finally the weekend. Adena knew she still had her patrolling duties, every night of the weekend on top of that, but she was still in a light mood as well. For the remaining time before dinner, she and her comrades just relaxed in the common room. Jacob had challenged the young girl to play Wizards' chess, still not admitting the last time she defeated him.

"I know you cheated, you don't have to lie," he said to her during the game, still not wanting to forget that last game.

"And you're just a loser who doesn't want to admit it," she smirked, taking another one of his pawn.

"I won't stop until I beat you."

"You beat me once in third year, don't you remember?"

"Oh, I do remember, you couldn't shut up about it for a whole month," said Isaac, who was sitting behind them on the sofa, as the two players were kneeling around the table, the fire perfectly illuminating the chess board.

"Of course! I was so proud!"

Adena realized she had actually created many memories with them. The thought made her smile, and she wondered why she would push them away sometimes. She couldn't even understand herself. The young girl was only sure of one thing, she was scared to be too close to people, fearing they would leave her or betray her. That was why she had decided to not let them too close so she wouldn't get attached. Perhaps it was too late. She had known the six of them for almost five years, how couldn't she grow attached to them, especially since they were the ones to approach the lonely little girl when she was in first year. She had been so cruel to them.

"Yo, it's your turn idiot. Or maybe you want to give up."

Jacob's voice got her out of her thoughts, his blue eyes watching her strangely. She looked at the board for some seconds before doing her next move, taking Jacob's queen and making him gasp as everyone laughed loudly around them.

"I can't believe this happened again!" cried out the boy, tugging on his short blonde hair, being as dramatic as ever.

"It was well played Jacob, you improved," replied the girl with a smug look.

"Adena stop messing with him, you could at least let him win once," said Millie giving a small sorry smile to the boy.

"That's what I did last time he won," she replied with a shrug, referring to that time in third year.

"I refuse to believe that!" shouted the boy with a pout and a frown. Adena was obviously lying but Jacob's reactions were just so hilarious.

"Stop arguing you kids, we should go eat," interrupted Isaac, his maturity appearing in their chaos.

Adena got up with the rest. Noah lifted up the poor Jacob from the floor, telling him a good meal will make him forget his 'crushing defeat'.

On their way to the Great Hall, the Ravenclaws kept talking about that chess game, while the depressed Jacob was being dragged by Noah and Adena was just smiling smugly. When they entered the hall, Jacob suddenly woke up from his short depressing phase at the smell of food.

"Adena!" he called out. "You better treat me to a butterbeer and some sweets next time we go to Hogsmeade! That's for being a cheater and a meanie."

The young girl laughed before shrugging. "Fine, whatever." 

She smiled as his proud self returned. They were walking towards the middle of the Ravenclaw table, as the conversation continued between the two teens. Before Adena could sit however, she unconsciously turned around, her eyes directing themselves towards the Slytherin table, not expecting to find a certain raven-haired male having his grey eyes on her, with his usual expressionless face. Without hesitation she offered a small, sweet smile and a nod before sitting down next to her comrades, remembering at the same time, she was meeting him in some hours for patrolling. Regulus was slightly taken aback by such a greeting from the Ravenclaw but returned back to his meal, a grin tugged on his lips as well.