chapter forty

Soon after coming home, the girls and their parents that had just arrived enjoyed a dinner together. It could have been tranquil and peaceful, except that Candace had decided to annoy her little sister.

"Mum, Dad, did you know that Adena went on a date today?" said the teasing voice of Candace.

Adena froze but slowly lifted her gaze to meet Candace's. She had a smirk tugged on her lips which was very irritating for the young girl.

"Really Adena? That's amazing! What's his name?" answered their mother, seeming delightful.

"What? Mum, I hanged out with Jade today! Not a date and not a boy!" She was getting angry now.

"Oh, really? We didn't see you anywhere, though. Did you and your boyfriend hide?"

"Jade and I were mostly in the shops," hissed curtly the girl.

"That's still suspicious." Her smirk disappeared as she looked at her with a rather scornful stare.

"Adean, dear, you would tell us if you had a boyfriend, right?" asked Juliet, sounding a little sad.

"Argh! Mum, I don't have boyfriend! Just quit with the questions."

Their father stayed quiet during the exchange; this kind of conversation was familiar. Adena felt tense. What if Candace had seen her and Regulus? Of course, it wasn't a date, but maybe she had said that to make her understand that she saw. Or she just wanted to annoy her, as always. If Candace wasn't a typical Gryffindor, she probably would have been sorted into Slytherin because of how malicious she was.

The next few days were just as boring as the rest of the holidays. But Adena felt content about going back to Hogwarts. She had barely seen her parents in the last five days of the break, always coming home too late, and she felt enraged, even though she should have been used by now. However, the day before the departure, their mother came home early, just as the girls finished dinner.

"Good evening, girls," said the woman entering the kitchen with her long blue robe trailing behind.

"Good evening, Mum," replied the girls.

"Ready for Hogwarts? I guess so. It's already your last year Candace!"

"Yeah, I can't believe it, neither. I feel nostalgic honestly."

"I understand. I hope you'll have fun this year. Here's some Galleons if you want to buy something in Hogsmeade!" She was smiling as she gave them the usual amount of coins.

"Thanks."

"Don't forget to write from time to time and to ask us if you need something. Your father and I are always here for you." She continued smiling as she went to hug both one by one. "I'm sorry I can't stay with you, I'm really tired from work. See you on Christmas."

She waved at them before retiring into her room.

"She looks tired," muttered Candace.

"Yeah she does, she's overworking herself I guess," sighed Adena.

The next day was the day of the departure. Both Adena and Candace were saying their goodbye to Pimchin, thanking her for accompanying them to the station as per usual. And when the house-elf was gone, they made their way to the train. They were early so not too many people were there.

"I assume you're going to the prefect compartment. See you later then!" said Candace, smiling, before the blonde tornado disappeared, in search of her friends.

"Bye," laughed the brunette as she hopped on the train.

She made her way to the prefect carriage located at the front of the train. When arriving, she noticed only a few people here.

"Good morning."

"Oh, good morning Adena,"  said the Lily Evans with a smile.

"You're the Head girl? And who's the-"

"Hi little Adena, did you have a good break?"

Adena widened her eyes a little when seeing James Potter behind Lily. "Potter... I did, thank you," said the girl, her tone colder than the one she used to address Lily.

She walked to the last table, nodding politely to a fifth year Hufflepuff boy on the way. She sat there and waited for a few minutes, some other prefects coming in, until the one she was waiting for entered the compartment.

The door opened next, but not a word was said so Adena lifted up her gaze, only to discover Regulus Black in the door frame.

"Good morning, Black," muttered Lily in a polite manner without much live and the boy only nodded. Regulus and James didn't greet each other, only exchanging hostile glares.

The Slytherin made his way to the table where Adena was sitting, completely ignoring the two pairs of eyes on him. Adena ignored them as well.

"Good morning Winsten," said quietly Regulus as he sat at her side.

"Good morning, Black," answered the girl in the same tone as she stared at him.

"Oh, you cut your hair." She smiled faintly, when noticing. His raven curls were now reaching his ears, and falling loosely on his forehead, just like how she got to know him.

"You noticed?" he said, staring back at her now.

"Of course, I did..."

"And you have the hairclip," remarked the boy, which made him smile as his grey eyes fell upon the clip, tying her brown curls up. His gaze then glided down to her face.

"I will never not wear it. It's so pretty."

"I'm glad...  And by the way, I didn't ask you the other day, but did you have a good break?"

She shrugged, her smile disappearing.

"The usual you know. Staying in my room the whole day, seeing my parents when they wouldn't come home too late, and having meals with Candace when she wasn't out with her friends or living in someone else's house. So, the usual."

"I see. You seem happy now, at least happier than on the last day."

"I am, thanks for noticing."

Then someone appeared at their table which made both of them look up. Noah was standing there, a huge smile on his lips.

"Hi, Adena!" She stood up, and he put his arms around her, pulling her as close as possible despite the table separating them.

"I'm happy to see you," said Adena with a smile, as she let go to sit back down.

"Me too!" He nodded at Regulus who nodded back before sitting as well.

"I missed you a lot you know."

"Me too Noah." And she smiled wider at him.

Soon the last prefects, including Ivanna Flint, arrived. The Head boy and Head girl – James Potter and Lily Evans – gave the instructions for the patrolling rounds during the trip. Then they gave each pair their schedule for the patrolling sessions of the year.

"Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday night for us, Adena."

"Yeah. At least we have free weekends." After that, she glanced above Regulus's shoulder, reading his own schedule.

"We never have the same days together..." muttered the girl disappointed.

"Yeah. We'll hang out any other time, it doesn't matter."

"Really? That would be great." And she felt a little better.

author's note: that's it, i've made my choice... i'll post my second story when i'll reach 1k here   👉👈 (and i promise this is better than this story, shorter too!)