chapter thirty three

The days passed by just as slowly as usual, except it suddenly went faster when spring finally installed itself in April, which also meant the exams were less than two months away by now. The anxiousness could be felt among all the fifth-year students. Most of them had started studying for their O.W.Ls. Adena hadn't. She thought it was useless to start too soon. She had been a good listener again in class that year, she had some knowledge in her mind at least. Jacob hadn't started studying yet neither. The last Quidditch match recently was recently played. Ravenclaw vs Gryffindor. Unfortunately, Gryffindor was the winner of the match and the four House Cup, making Jacob in a gloomy mood. She had attended the match, as well as Ravenclaw and Slytherin's other matches. Her presence was personally asked by Regulus, of course. She had no other reason.

 As everyone was keeping themselves busy, Adena just stayed with Jacob, them being the two lazy folks they were. She thought that her silent support would help. Maybe not being alone would make him want to crack a joke again. But she wasn't sure.

By the end of the month, Adena started studying, not too much, however. She celebrated Jade's birthday at the end of April and Jacob was happily back to his usual mood. Some days after she was invited in the Gryffindor common room to celebrate Rosie Abbot and Marlene McKinnon's birthdays who were two of Candace's best friends. These were good excuses to not study but she thought she shouldn't laze around too much.

That night was yet another session of patrolling in the corridors, with Regulus Black obviously. The calmest and most enjoyable moments of the week for her. His company was never boring. Tonight, he was the one to engage the conversation.

"Do you have that meeting with Flitwick too? To discuss your future projects, you know," the boy asked, a bit curious.

"Hm, I do, it's in two weeks. You have one with Slughorn I guess."

"Yeah. I was wondering what your projects were. Or maybe you still want to live in a lost and lonely cottage in the middle of Scotland," said the raven-haired male with a smirk.

Adena scoffed before answering, "That wasn't a joke you know, I'm seriously thinking of moving there. But if you want a real answer, I actually don't know what job I could get."

"You're good enough to do anything. Even strong enough to be an Auror."

The brunette shrugged, ignoring the compliment and the effect it had on her as she answered, "I thought of that yeah. I'm sure of what I don't want. A boring job at the Ministry like my parents. I considered becoming a Healer as well. Something related to astronomy is an option as well of course. But nothing's decided."

"I see. I guess that's some interesting jobs. But I think astronomy definitely suits you more in my opinion... "

She chuckled a bit before asking, "What about you?"

Regulus took time to reply.

"Well, I believe you're aware of my views regarding the wizarding society." And the girl just hummed to agree. "I hope it's no surprise to you that I'm considering joining the Dark Lord's army."

Even if Adena was expecting something like that, this answer was still surprising coming from a sixteen-year-old boy. Voldemort's army was becoming stronger and stronger by days, as well as more famous. But she wouldn't have expected such a young boy to have that kind of projects.

"Are you serious about this? I mean, right after graduation? You're strong and smart, you could do so many great things."

"I want my skills to be helpful to the Dark Lord. I've been wanting this for a long time."

The girl stopped for a moment, her eyes staring at the floor, she was thoughtful. "This is definitely not the safest job."

Regulus had stopped as well, his own gaze fixing her. "I know, but it doesn't matter if I can at least do great things like you said. I don't know your opinion on the subject, but helping the Dark Lord reach his goals sound like great things to me."