chapter seventy eight

After one month of school, the seven years were realizing how difficult their last year was. More complicated lessons and more personal work, some had a hard time to keep up. Adena was doing fine since she was always doing her work in advance, while some people, like her friends, were struggling to finish their essays at midnight on Sunday nights. She was nice enough to give them her own work, making more people gather around what was akin to gold for them. The girl didn't care that much, she almost wanted to laugh at them. At least, she would have a full night of sleep unlike some others.

"Adena, can you help me for the Charms essay please, I don't want to have four hours of sleep again..." muttered Jacob at breakfast.

"Be responsible and independent."

"I'm not as organized and studious as you..."

"Buy me sweets next time we go to Hogsmeade and I'll help you," she said smirking.

He groaned a little. "I guess we'll be equal after that since you did it too."

"Exactly."

Arsene joined them just after and the boy looked tired as well. Everyone greeted him but he wasn't as joyful as usual.

"Are you okay?" asked Adena, worried.

He gave her an anxious look before saying, "I can't get to work on my Transfiguration homework. I tried all night to change my cat into a cup, but it won't work."

"I see, I'll help you then, is that okay?"

"Really? Thank you!" and his usual bright self was back.

"Why don't you ask for something in exchange," hissed Jacob.

"Because he isn't you."

Adena often helped her cousin but she quickly realized he didn't lack skills but instead lacked confidence.

"You know, if you're not confident in your abilities, it doesn't work as well."

That day, she was helping him produce a charm, but he had a hard time doing so and he was getting tired.

"But I just can't..." he sighed disappointed.

"Look, let's stop for today and tomorrow you'll try again. I'm sure it'll get better, I've witnessed that several times."

The next day, after receiving boosting words of course, Arsene succeeded. He looked so delighted, he wouldn't stop executing it again and again.

"See! Be more confident, you're very good!"

"Thanks, I'll practice on that instead."

The brunette was really glad to see her cousin's progress and evolution. She really wanted to enjoy this year by his side since she would leave Hogwarts soon.

Adena would usually hang out with the blonde boy during Regulus' Quidditch practices since it was after classes or on Saturdays but she would sometimes do it at other times, reducing her time with him, but Regulus would never complain. Nor when she would talk about her cousin and how she thought he was such a great young wizard.

"I'm sorry, aren't you tired of my rambling?" she murmured hesitantly after a pause.

It was a Friday evening before dinner. They had decided to enjoy this short moment together since they barely had time alone these days.

"No, I'm listening."

"You are?"

"Yes. You just said that Potions and Charms were his favorite subjects, and then you added 'Poor boy surely already has a spot in Slug Club' and I actually laughed at that comment. See, I'm listening," he told her with a grin.