chapter fifteen

When this class was finished, they left each other without a word. They had already talked a lot for two people barely knowing each other who were both introverts on top of that. She returned to her common room with a smile on her face. Her roommates watched her come back with confusion written on their faces. Adena didn't spare them a glance as she went up to her bedroom to leave her bag and get rid of her robe, staying just in her uniform. She grabbed the book she had been reading for a few days and went back down, going to sit on a one of the beautiful blue velvet sofas decorating the place, right next to Jacob.

"Good evening," she just said in a polite manner as she started reading, trying to distract herself from the surprisingly enjoyable afternoon, but not wanting to at the same time.

"Adena... you look strangely in a good mood. At least way better than before," said Eugenia, a little dumbfounded.

"You always seem to come back to us with a lit-up mood these days, it's rather strange I must say," said Jacob this time, teasingly as always.

The brunette just rolled her eyes and let out a sigh, "I don't know what you're talking about, it was just Arithmancy."

"Didn't know this class was particularly exciting," scoffed Jacob.

Adena just tried to focus on her book but was once again interrupted.

"Hi Adena. I've been assigned as the new prefect by Flitwick. We have to patrol tonight; I hope it's fine with you..." started Noah, her housemate.

Noah Lee was always a quiet and shy guy most of the time. Except with his two best friends, Isaac and Jacob who were quite the contrary and seemed to be of a great help to the boy.

She turned to him with a smile and nodded, "It's fine, thank you for letting me know Noah."

She started reading again but she was definitely not in the mood anymore. The nightmares haven't stopped, and she was feeling nervous thinking about going back in the empty corridors of the castle at night with a boy she didn't know that well on top of that. She felt like she couldn't trust anyone anymore, not even the sweet Noah who was always eye-smiling at her every time she would be nice to him. Adena just tried to shake away the feeling of anxiouness growing in her stomach as she read her book.

Faster than she had wanted to, Adena found herself in the common room, one quarter to nine, waiting for Noah, her new partner as a prefect. The nervousness hadn't left her, and as always when she was nervous, she didn't eat a lot for dinner. She just tried to at least fill her stomach with pumpkin juice.

At ten to nine, Noah was finally there. "Sorry for being late, I didn't think you would be that early," he said with a sheepish smile while running a hand on the back of his neck.

"It's fine, I just didn't have anything to do," she replied with a reassuring smile as she made her way towards the exit already getting her wand out and whispering a small 'Lumos' .

Noah did the same, following her, since she knew better how to direct herself in the castle at night.

"You were the first person Flitwick asked to become prefect?"

"I think yeah. He didn't look in a panic, just asking me normally."

"You accepted right away?"

"Yes, it's not like it's such a hard duty anyway. But I don't think I'll be a very strict prefect..."

"It's okay, I'm not either," she chuckled, "I think only the older Slytherins abuse their position to give Gryffindors detention or just annoy them." 'Or Muggle-borns,' thought the young girl.