chapter seventy six

After many explanations and moments of catching up, Arsene finally went to his dorm. Adena went out of the common room, unsurprisingly finding Regulus there, waiting for her. It would always remain their routine, whether they had to patrol or no.

"You didn't wait too much?" quietly asked the girl, feeling a little guilty.

"Just a little. You were with the boy?" said Regulus, trying to show some disinterest when he was actually curious.

"Yeah, you saw him..."

"But who is he?"

"Arsene, my cousin. As in my aunt's son..." she added next hesitantly, but he didn't make any remark on that. He already knew about that situation. Instead, what he said next totally surprised the brunette.

"He looks like you."

"What? Have you seen him? With his blonde hair and his blue eyes-"

"The smile. You two have the same bright smile. Even your sister has a similar smile."

"Oh, I'd never noticed. And nobody has ever told me that."

"You two looked happy," he said, smiling fondly at her. Just thinking about her happy expression made him smile. She grabbed his hand and got closer to him.

"I felt happy. We haven't met in three years. I thought I was going to cry." As she said that, her voice broke a little with emotion. The boy looked at her, and she really looked emotional. His other hand went to ruffle her hair gently.

"Why did you stop seeing each other?"

"His mother stopped bringing him. She stated the family was still not acceptive of her marriage with that French Muggle man. But I just wanted to play with my cousin. We would always play together when he'd come by my grandmother's when we were young..." she sighed, feeling nostalgic.

"Your family wasn't acceptive? But they've changed?"

"Yeah. They accept Noah, Millie or any of Candace's friends, but they want to keep that reputation. They fear what could be said about us. But as you know some of my relatives are still close to You-Know-Who."

"Are you scared too?"

"No. I don't care about others' opinion."

"But do you care about what people could say about you dating a Black?" his tone was serious as he said that, and the girl felt surprised so she didn't answer right away.

"I don't care. I don't care about my father and my grandmother's comments about your family. Nor do I care anymore about Candace's words, or about my friends' opinions."

"I'm glad then. That's really nice of you, especially about your relatives' opinions."

"Do you care about your mother's opinions or about whatever negative thing she said about me?"

The boy paused for a moment and Adena was fixing him.

"I do care about my mother's opinion, but I prefer to ignore whatever negative things she could say about you."

"Is that a bad thing that I'm so close to Arsene?"

"Not really. This is not who I'd personally choose to hang out with, just like my half-blood cousin. But it's you and at this point it's too late to say anything about you being close to half-bloods. At least you showed enough support to my projects, you mostly correspond to my family's criteria. It's fine, I won't ever stop you from having fun your cousin."

"I mostly correspond to your family's criteria and you chose to stay with me?"

Regulus was shocked by her words but calmed down after seeing her grin. "Yes, as I said it's too late. It's you and you only, I guess I can say that's our fate."