chapter sixty eight

Adena had been completely lonely for the last days of July, only meeting with her parents at dinner time. Sometimes she would read the books she had read a thousand times and then read the books from her parents' personal collection that she knew very well already too. She had nothing to entertain her, nobody to talk to, she just wished holidays could be over. She was all alone again, alone with her thoughts.

And her thoughts were always full of questions about her friends, parents, sister, and Regulus. What were they doing. How were they feeling. Could they ever feel as lonely as her sometimes. Did they realize what she was going through every time she found herself alone in this big place. She concluded they wouldn't. They have been keeping themselves busy enough so no such thought would be bothering them. Unlike her who felt overwhelmed by sadness and loneliness.

On one boring afternoon of July, the brunette was unsurprisingly lying on her bed. She had just finished her third reading of The picture of Dorian Gray that Millie had recommended her a long time ago since her mother loved this book. But now that she had done so, she had no idea what to do anymore. She was staring blankly at the wall, waiting for an idea to come to her mind even though she felt like a complete void.

Suddenly, the young girl heard the door of her room open then a high-pitched voice squeaking, "Miss Adena, Pimchin is sorry to bother, but Miss has a visitor."

Pimchin brought her someone. Before she could even start moving to discover her visitor, the person spoke.

"Hello, Adena." It was a soft velvet-like voice she could recognize between thousands. It was Regulus, it was her lover.

She turned around, straightening herself to sit on her knees, observing Regulus who came to sit beside her. Once the distance reduced, she threw her arms around his neck, completely closing the distance between them. She hugged him so tight, and he returned the embrace with as much force. It could have been unbearable, but not for Adena who just wanted to melt into him. His comfort, his scent, the gentleness of his gestures; she felt happy again. There's no place that felt better than Regulus' arms. Her whole happiness depended mainly on him more than anything, she felt like reliving after feeling empty for the last days.

"I missed you..." she murmured in a shaking voice.

"It's only been two weeks..." he murmured back even though he couldn't help giving her some comforting caresses.

"But it felt long without you..."

"I know..."

For Regulus too, being back to his girlfriend felt like a big relief. He had realized a long time ago how much she mattered to him, before she could even realize it herself perhaps. He had felt drawn to her. And he couldn't stop himself. Until now, it felt impossible to stay away from this girl he got to love so easily, more easily than anyone in his life. She was really special.

"How have been the past days?" he asked with concern, detaching himself just a little to look at her.

"... bored and lonely..." she muttered avoiding his gaze unconsciously.

"I see. I should have come before then."

"No no! I don't force you to come, I'm already happy and grateful to have you here today."

He looked at her in the eyes now that she was looking at him. They had even missed this long staring into each other's eyes.

"We'll plan the next days to meet again," he said, his voice sounding serious.

"Okay, thank you then."

He cracked a little smile at her, the kind of small almost timid smiles he would give her that made her completely weak. He had this look in his eyes, Adena noticed it and she couldn't help bringing his face closer with her hands. Even touching his cheeks felt like a rediscovery but she quickly got familiar with the soft heat of his skin. Before Regulus could make a move, she was planting a sweet kiss on his cheek. It felt so soft under her lips that she did it again.