chapter twenty-two

It was already Saturday morning, almost time to take the train that would bring the students back to Hogwarts. Adena and Candace had said their goodbyes to their parents the night before since they would already be at the Ministry before their departure. The brunette was dressed in her uniform as she left the mansion since her prefect duties were starting right when arriving on platform 9 ¾. When they arrived, it was crowded of parents and children, sharing sad goodbyes as they wouldn't see each other for the next few months.

Candace and Adena waved goodbye to their house elf before bringing their luggage inside the train.

"This shit's heavy, next time we should ask Pimchin to put them in as well, ugh," said Candace while dragging it in the still empty corridor.

"Why don't you use magic."

The blonde girl stopped at her words and smirked. "Sis you're such a genius." The sixth year took out her wand to carry her suitcase off the floor as Adena muttered 'idiot' while following her.

"Maylyn must be there already, we'll put your suitcase in the same compartment."

And so, the brunette followed her sister until finding her best friend, seeming waiting for them. The tanned girl jumped to her feet and went to hug Candace.

"You saw each other two days ago, what the hell."

"That's true love between us, you can't understand," said Maylyn as her friend laughed.

"Whatever, bye," Adena said, rolling her eyes, before leaving them and making her way to the prefects' carriage, in the first wagon.

When the brunette opened the door slowly, already feeling bored about her upcoming duties, she didn't expect to meet a grey pair of eyes boring into her hazel ones, making her stop in her tracks.

"Oh, hello, Winsten! Happy New Year. Had a good break?" asked the Head girl.

"Yeah, thank you," was all the girl answered, not even sparing  her a glance, confusing her older schoolmate.

Her orbs continued staring at Regulus Black and she didn't waste any more time to walk up to him. She sat in front of the male, her gaze not leaving his cold grey one which attracted her so much, nonetheless. They remained there, staring at each other in silence, both faces unreadable. Until Regulus' voice interrupted it.

"Good morning, Winsten."

Upon hearing his velvet-like voice, the corners of her lips tugged upwards, before giving him a small smile and replying softly, "Good morning, Black."

"I hope you had a good break."

The girl shrugged at this.

"I pretty much spend my time in bed except for the showers and meals. And I went to Diagon Alley when my parents weren't working. It wasn't bad. What about you?"

Regulus took his time to answer, as if not wishing to reply.

"Just the usual. My family doesn't really have the Christmas spirit. I had dinner with my distant family on Christmas Eve, went to family parties as well and that was boring. That's it."

"Oh, too bad. I don't know that much my family. Except for my grandmother. I met her on Christmas Eve as well, and it was more enjoyable I must say."

He nodded but it looked like she still had something to say so he stayed quiet.

"And I, uh... how should I say that. I met your brother too." The Slytherin looked slightly taken aback by this but remained emotionless.

"Sorry, I don't know why I said that I thought that maybe you wanted to know."

"No. But whatever. It's just that I'd rather not talk about him."

"Right, that was dumb of me."

"No, don't worry, you couldn't guess how I'd react of course."

She hummed and then Ivanna Flint joined them.

"Hi Black, Winsten. Had fun during the holidays?"

"Hi, Flint. It was okay. And you?" Adena answered politely at the blonde girl as the boy facing her just looked out the window.

"It was okay as well."

Just at that moment, Noah entered the compartment. He sat next to his fellow Ravenclaw and side-hugged her as she smiled at him.

"Hello there. Hope I'm not late, I was catching up with the others. They were asking where you had disappeared Adena."

"I didn't disappear, I was in the train the whole time," just answered the girl.

"Well, you know how they are. Anyway, how was your break?"

"Good," said the girl shrugging.

"I'm pretty sure you were bored for the two weeks," sighed Noah.

"Yeah, except when my grandmother came and when my parents took us and Maylyn to Diagon Alley."

"Oh, you mean Maylyn Davey? She was there for your sister's party? When are you doing your own by the way?"

"Uh?" Adena turned towards him. "Do I look like someone who wants drunk teens everywhere in my living-room? Sorry to disappoint you Noah, but that will never happen," replied the girl in a stern voice, making the boy laugh slightly.

Noah had been more daring and open since he started hanging out with Isaac and Jacob, Adena had noticed and she knew where he got that kind of weird ideas from.

"Merlin's beard, Winsten, you're boring. Just enjoy your teenage life before your adult's responsibilities start crushing you," muttered Ivanna Flint.

"What responsibilities? I'll buy a pretty nice cottage in the middle of Scotland, where no one lives and I'll live with no responsibilities for the rest of my life," replied the Ravenclaw girl, casually, with her nonchalant aura. Ivanna was a bit shocked by that, and Regulus let out a barely audible chuckle. Noah started laughing a little as well after that.

"You're surely uncommon, Adena," whispered her male companion, which make her shrug.

"Calm and tranquility is all I've always wished for."

Nobody answered her as the Head boy and Head girl gave out the planning of patrolling for today's travel. Adena and Noah had to wait a few hours before their turn, meaning they couldn't join the others so soon.

"Seems like we still have time to spend together," said Ivanna acting annoyed.

"Yeah, another few hours with you two," sighed the brunette in the same way.

"Am I a bother?" suddenly said Regulus, speaking for the first time in a while. His voice was plain, his face not showing anything, but Adena could read amusement when she met his grey irises.

"What? You? Oh, no, of course," she replied, innocently. Too focused on him, Adena didn't notice Noah and Ivanna watching them strangely.

"That's reassuring."

"Hm guys, do we still do the exchange tonight and for the rest of our shifts?" suddenly interrupted Ivanna.

Regulus' eyes returned to his usual cold stare as he turned towards the window, saying in a voice sudddenly devoid of interest, "Yes, we'll continue until the end of the year."

Adena discovered this at the same time as the others, not that she had a problem with that of course, she was just not very sure about the others' point of view.

"If you guys are okay with this of course," she added quickly.

"It's fine for me," said Noah.

"Same for me. Lee's funnier than Black anyway. I feel bad for you Winsten."

"I can't disagree on that point, Flint, but as long as Black isn't being too annoying, I'm fine with him."

The blonde girl laughed at her answer. The Slytherin male had glanced up at Adena as she said that his lips twitching slightly, in an effort to suppress a grin. The group continued talking for a while, mostly Ivanna and Noah, with Adena throwing comments from time to time and Regulus addressing his words to her only when he wanted to say something. And the girl noticed that even after two weeks of not seeing each other, they still managed to talk so easily together.